Thread poster: Klaus Urban

Klaus Urban  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:42
Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
Jul 13, 2006

Dear Colleagues,
how can I establish the word count of a PDF-File?
Best regards
Klaus

Direct link Reply with quote

Silvia Montufo Urquízar  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
Select text Jul 13, 2006

Hello Klaus,

This is what I do: I select the text with the "Select Text" button, which is near the "Search" button, then copy it and paste it on a Word document, where I finally count the words. Some documents are protected and text can't be copied, but most of them aren't.

Hope it helped,

Silvia

[Edited at 2006-07-13 15:32]

Veronika Hansova  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2006)
English to Czech
+ ...
Do you have AnyCount or ABBYY Fine Reader? Jul 13, 2006

Hello Klaus,

the pdf files cannot be edited therefore no ordinary word count applies to them. Either you can use the Anycount software (counts words in many other formats, very helpful and user-frinedly,. I have a personal experience with it) or you may try to break the PDF file by the ABBYY Fine Reader, which however completely destroys the format...

I would suggest you downloading the AnyCount: www.anycount.com (I believe). Trial version is for free and you get 10 free counts per day. Or you may purchase it, it is not actually that expensive.

Hopefully I helped you a bit,
Veronika.

Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Silvia, Jul 13, 2006

Silvia Montufo Urquízar wrote:

Hello Klaus,

This is what I do: I select the text with the "Select Text" button, which is near the "Search" button, then copy it and paste it on a Word document, where I finally count the words. Some documents are protected and text can't be copied, but most of them aren't.

Hope it helped,

Silvia

[Edited at 2006-07-13 15:32]

I tried it immediately, and it worked succesfully.
Regards
Klaus

Member (2005)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Veronika Jul 13, 2006

Veronika Masopustová wrote:

Hello Klaus,

the pdf files cannot be edited therefore no ordinary word count applies to them. Either you can use the Anycount software (counts words in many other formats, very helpful and user-frinedly,. I have a personal experience with it) or you may try to break the PDF file by the ABBYY Fine Reader, which however completely destroys the format...

I would suggest you downloading the AnyCount: www.anycount.com (I believe). Trial version is for free and you get 10 free counts per day. Or you may purchase it, it is not actually that expensive.

Hopefully I helped you a bit,
Veronika.

I will definitely try this approach.
Thank you.
Klaus

xxxBrandis
English to German
+ ...
try this link Jul 14, 2006

Hello all,

this seems to be a new tool, but counts .pdf as well. Actually I had already posted this, but I don´t know where it is.
couting .pdf files is difficult, because they can be composed of a dozen different things, assuming but the .pdf file is composed of solely a word based document, this following tool may help you. http://www.softplatz.com/Soft/Business/Accounting-Finance/QuickCount.html
it may not help you in situations, where the .pdf file represents a composition of text taken as pictures (.jpg or the similar) there you may not get any count at all. Best brandis

bj999xt
English to Chinese
try this freeware Jul 16, 2006

Translator's Abacus

http://www.globalrendering.com/download.html

Ruslan Datkayev  Identity Verified
Kazakhstan
Local time: 02:42
English to Russian
+ ...
abracompteur Jul 16, 2006

Good day!

Here is a link to free tool to count words in pdf files:
http://www.abracadabrapdf.net/pages/fr/abracompteur#ENG

To install, just place AbracadabraCompteur2.js to \Program files\Adobe\Acrobat\Acrobat (or Reader)\Javascripts\

In Acrobat menu Tools, there a Word counter submenu appears.

With respect,

rbd

[Редактировалось 2006-07-16 13:19]

Manuel Aburto M
Nicaragua
Local time: 14:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is important to note... Jul 16, 2006

Dear Klaus:

It is important to note that sometimes files in pdf format can not be counted since they, despite being in PDF format, are saved as a image.

What I use to do, when you are able to select the text from the file is copy the whole document then paste it it MS Office and then I make the count under the option: Tools/word count.

Hope it works for you.

Regards,

Manuel

Ryan Ginstrom
Local time: 05:42
Japanese to English
Free utilities for PDF word counts May 30, 2008

This reply is quite late, but in case others are searching I have two free utilities that will give word counts for PDF files.

The first is an online wordcount tool:
felix-cat.com/tools/wordcount/

And the other is a desktop utility for Windows:
ginstrom.com/CountAnything/

The online version has the advantage of not requiring an install and being usable from Linux/Mac. The desktop version supports more file formats (notably MS Office).

Note that if the PDF file is a scanned image, neither tool can perform a word count. You'll need an OCR tool in that case.

I hope someone can find this information useful.

Regards,
Ryan Ginstrom

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF-File: Word Count

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search