Czech characters display problem
Thread poster: Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 05:09
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sep 20, 2002

I notice there is no Czech forum, so I will post here.

I recently obtained a Czech electronic dictionary from Stormware, which is excellent per se, however, the field for entering words will not display properly the specific Czech characters, such as r hacek. Instead of that character you get the zero sign (an o with a slash through it), having chosen the Czech language keyboard through the control panel in Windows. This keyboard will allow you to type and display correct
... See more
I notice there is no Czech forum, so I will post here.

I recently obtained a Czech electronic dictionary from Stormware, which is excellent per se, however, the field for entering words will not display properly the specific Czech characters, such as r hacek. Instead of that character you get the zero sign (an o with a slash through it), having chosen the Czech language keyboard through the control panel in Windows. This keyboard will allow you to type and display correctly in many applications, e.g., Word for Windows, but apparently not all, such as this one.

How can this problem be remedied?

Appreciate all suggestions.

Yngve

Collapse

Uwe Kirmse
Uwe Kirmse  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:09
Polish to German
+ ...
Have you tried.... Sep 21, 2002

...to enter the Czech characters using ALT + ASCII code? I don\'t know your application and don\'t know, if it will work, but I know some applications, where this is the only way. Perhaps you\'ll have to use a CE font, eg. from Windows 3.11, and you should not use Czech keyboard and language support.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-09-21 23:00 ]

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 05:09
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fixedsys font problem Sep 23, 2002

The problem also occurred in the messages that accompanied the installation of the said program. At Stormware they are suggesting that it is the fixedsys font in Windows that does not display the specific Czech characters correctly. How to incorporate them there is a conundrum to me. I am not going to type ALT plus a four-digit ASCII number everytime a Czech character needs entering, although it could work as the previous poster suggested.

Are there any domestic Czech Wi
... See more
The problem also occurred in the messages that accompanied the installation of the said program. At Stormware they are suggesting that it is the fixedsys font in Windows that does not display the specific Czech characters correctly. How to incorporate them there is a conundrum to me. I am not going to type ALT plus a four-digit ASCII number everytime a Czech character needs entering, although it could work as the previous poster suggested.

Are there any domestic Czech Windows users who can fill in the picture?

Thanks for all additional suggestions.

Yngve

Update: This problem is solved by going to the control panel, clicking the icon Regional and Language Settings, then Advanced, and selecting Czech from the drop-down menu. This will set the machine to work, e.g., sort in Czech. It will however also mess up some Western European fonts, e.g., the Nordic aa, ae, oe characters.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-21 05:33 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Czech characters display problem

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »