Off topic: Gifts and Gadgets
Thread poster: Lawyer-Linguist

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:58
Dutch to English
+ ...
Aug 18, 2006

Thought it might be a good idea to share some ideas about smaller items that colleagues may find useful on an everyday basis but haven't thought about buying/didn't know existed.

Handy for creating a wish list/list of gift ideas for birthdays etc. too.

1. Docking station for your laptop

This literally turns your laptop into a desktop and allows you to connect external peripherals (e.g. keyboard, mouse, modem etc), adjust screen height etc.

2. Paperweight with a paper "stand up" slot

Mine also has a clock but I've seen them without. Very handy for translating PDF docs as you can print it out and have the doc upright next to you as you are translating in Word. Far better IMO then having to look down to desk level all the time.

3. Small magnifying glass

One that can fit into a glass case. Ideal for making out the small print/figures on those poorer quality docs we sometimes receive.

Just to get the ball rolling .......

Have a good weekend
D.

[Edited at 2006-08-18 15:04]

Direct link Reply with quote

Francina  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:58
Member (2005)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thanks for sharing Aug 18, 2006

Deborah do Carmo wrote:

2. Paperweight with a paper "stand up" slot

Mine also has a clock but I've seen them without. Very handy for translating PDF docs as you can print it out and have the doc upright next to you as you are translating in Word. Far better IMO then having to look down to desk level all the time.

Love this tip; would you point me in the direction where on-line this can be found?

Francina

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sure ...... Aug 18, 2006

Google "page up" + "paper holder" and you'll find a number of outlets in the States.

Looks like most stationery stores would stock them, or something similar.

Bye for now
D

[Edited at 2006-08-18 18:05]

Mira Stepanovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
Local time: 06:58
English to Serbian
+ ...
A BIG magnifying glass on a stand Aug 19, 2006

An extremely useful gadget IMHO. And I'm speaking from my own experience. Some eight years ago I was contacted by a client who needed a book to be translated into my native language for preparation of their PhD. The book was in English language and it had been borrowed from a library so I was kindly asked to return it to the client together with my quote. It contained 250 pages (hard copy) of very dense, small font mechanical engineering text including numerous tables, graphs, figures, etc. I was asked to submit my quote per page of the source text and I did so. To avoid any misunderstandings, I called the client on the phone and tried to explain what a "translated page" actually means, the number of fonts that a "page" contains and i was convinced that I had been understood, although I was told that there were "many pictures" there... I was given the job, but needless to say that I almost fainted when I was given the source text: the book had been copied and reduced to half of its original size so as to fit 2 pages into A4 format... I needed i manifying glass for the whole text... According to the client, there were no longer 250 pages, but only 125... Took me ages to sort things out, I finished the job and was paid for it, but i still have the bitter taste in my mouth when i think about it...

Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
another monitor Aug 19, 2006

Nothing better than working with a big desktop. You can have a lot more windows open in sight instead of 10 layers of windows with dictionaries, stickies, programs, messengers, etc.

Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
a gel keyboard/ mouse wristrest Aug 19, 2006

They may look meaningless, but they do make a difference when you're working for hours and hours. They make you feel more comfortable.

Also, a screen filter. That would actually come in handy for me lol.

Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Monitor(s) Aug 20, 2006

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Nothing better than working with a big desktop. You can have a lot more windows open in sight instead of 10 layers of windows with dictionaries, stickies, programs, messengers, etc.

Not quite sure whether you mean "another, bigger monitor" or "an additional monitor", which is what I'm talking about.

Apart from anything else, I find it particularly useful when translating with a CAT tool. Source file on the left monitor, CAT file on the right monitor. Really comes into its own with HTML and PPT and is well worth the investment.

And you can flick an open file across from one monitor to the other when you want to.

Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Gifts and Gadgets

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search