Norton Internet Security is a good complete package
Thread poster: mckinnc
mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:53
French to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2002

Like you I have a broadband connection. I personally protect my system with the software mentioned above. I am regularly attacked by back-door trojans etc and these are always picked up and denied access. This is a very complete package, including Norton AntiVirus, Firewall, Privacy Control etc. It can be tweaked to suit your needs, includes regular updates and should be fine for your purposes.

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not quite Oct 8, 2002

Is sometimes blocks Internet-access and recognizes email as a virus.

mckinnc
mckinnc  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry Oct 8, 2002

This was supposed to be in response to the person asking about how to set up a firewall for his system.

I personally don\'t have any of the problems you described.

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
NIS is a good choice Oct 8, 2002

Wiliamson wrote:

\"Is sometimes blocks Internet-access and recognizes email as a virus.\"

I use this software package since over two years and have never experienced any problems with it.

If properly configured and set, it does not block any wanted access to Internet and recognises only infected emails. Surely it blocks every incidental access to Internet by software, which would not evenbe mentioned without NIS. And you can decide then, if you
... See more
Wiliamson wrote:

\"Is sometimes blocks Internet-access and recognizes email as a virus.\"

I use this software package since over two years and have never experienced any problems with it.

If properly configured and set, it does not block any wanted access to Internet and recognises only infected emails. Surely it blocks every incidental access to Internet by software, which would not evenbe mentioned without NIS. And you can decide then, if you want to allow this acces, if this should happen only once, or if the application will get continous permission to access the Internet.

It is the same as with all other critisized programms - the most problems reported are related to not reading any documentation or not consulting program help files. Symantec provides a good, free and easy to access Internet knowledge base.

Jerzy
Collapse

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
Also PcCillin AV has a good firewall Oct 8, 2002

I had PcCillin installed in my notebook when I bought it. The licence has to be renewed annually. It is not expensive and comes with a very simple Firewall (checks packets) + Sitefilter (blocks offensive online sites)+ Webtrap (blocks malicious ActiveX and Java) + Pop3 mail scan and Real time scan. In its logs I can see that I have received 46 attacks only in the last 20 minutes.

I actually keep only the Personal Firewall on, and it seems to be effective. For the e-mails, I
... See more
I had PcCillin installed in my notebook when I bought it. The licence has to be renewed annually. It is not expensive and comes with a very simple Firewall (checks packets) + Sitefilter (blocks offensive online sites)+ Webtrap (blocks malicious ActiveX and Java) + Pop3 mail scan and Real time scan. In its logs I can see that I have received 46 attacks only in the last 20 minutes.

I actually keep only the Personal Firewall on, and it seems to be effective. For the e-mails, I have set Eudora in such a way that it does not download any email body or attachment longer than 5 Kb without me taking a look first at the size, name of attachment and email header first.

This system seems to work. I have noticed that lately the email viruses tend to arrive with very well targeted subject and filenames. And yesterday, for the first time, I downloaded an attachment disguised as request for translation!

Luckily this week I had installed a patch for IE 5.5, to prevent it from automatically run this kind of files. In exchange, now all my IE messages (warnings, certificats etc.) are displayed in a font that my computer cannot read...

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-08 21:27 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Norton Internet Security is a good complete package

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »