Thread poster: Katarina Andersson

Katarina Andersson  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:24
Member (2006)
Italian to Swedish
+ ...
Oct 5, 2006

Hello!

Does any of you know any good software program for converting voice files, wap files, into text files? Am working on a research project with lots of interviewes to transcribe and I wonder whether it would be possible to use a program like this to speed up the work etc.

Would these program work also when there are two different voices in the sound file, i.e. mine and the interviewed person?

Grateful for any comments or help.

Katarina.

Direct link Reply with quote

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Dragon does wav files Oct 5, 2006

Hi there!

Dragon Naturally Speaking will transcribe .wav and .sri files. I have to say that I've never tried it, but I know that the function does exist.

As with all voice recognition software, the quality of the output depends on the quality of the spoken text, so if you've got a poorly spoken text in the first place then Dragon will certainly have problems.

I don't think it will make a distinction between two voices in the output it generates. You would have to go through manually and mark it up.

You will need a big(ish) computer to run Dragon successfully. There's a good Yahoo group called SR for translators (SR = Speech Recognition). Check it out.

HTH

Alison

Member (2006)
Italian to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 5, 2006

Well a bigish computer I am not sure I actually have, will check it out though as these interviewes are driving me crazy:o).

Thanks,

Katarina.

Jande  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 23:24
Danish to English
+ ...
There are voice converting programs Oct 6, 2006

I was offered to use one for my interviews.

A colleague of mine used one for all his interviews. You need to calibrate the voices with a sample text. Even so you still need to correct errors. For the interviewees it can still work without calibration, but contains more errors to correct.

As I had observations and interviews I had a transcription company do mine, and then ended up paying someone full time to transcribe all my data. While I transcribed the rest.

Transcription companies are generally professional. They do make errs especially with technical data however they were easy to correct. I used NTS.

Dr. Jason Faulkner  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:24
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
DNS works for me Oct 6, 2006

Dragon will do a pretty good job if the recording is good. You really don't need a lot of computer to use it for recorded speech since it can start and stop while it's thinking. You need a lot of computer to dictate in real time though.

Mucho ojo! When it does not recognize a word it goes with its best guess. This means the words will be spelled correctly, even if it's the wrong word. You have to proofread VERY carefully.

-Saludos

Member (2006)
Italian to Swedish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 7, 2006

for all the help.
Actually I went to have a look at the Dragon program, but I was afraid I would not have a powerful computer enough, but now I will indeed go and get it as I have another 40 interviews to do and it is a true slavery job.:o)

Thanks,

Katarina.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice converting program

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search