I have my own domain name, can someone suggest a good ISP?
Thread poster: Jessica Klingberg

Jessica Klingberg  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:37
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Oct 16, 2002

I recently acquired my own domain name and am searching for a good, reliable internet service provider to switch to. Does anyone out there have their own domain name AND a dial-up ISP they are happy with? In particular, these are the main points I am looking for:

* ISP should provide me with a POP3 e-mail address as I will be managing e-mail through Outlook

* ISP should be accessible from overseas (I am in the U.S. but travel a bit)

* I am not looking for free mail (Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.) as I need e-mails to look professional - i.e. no advertising banners

Any and all suggestions would be much appreciated.

Direct link Reply with quote

italia  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:37
Italian to German
+ ...
Go to 1und1 Oct 16, 2002

Hi! I have been a satisfied customer of 1und1, a German provider, for more than 2 years now. They will provide you with your own domain name both for your E-mail-Account and your homepage (included in the monthly rate).

I am not sure however, if it \'s only a Eurpean-Wide service. I suggest simply getting in touch with them. Here\'s the link:http://www.1und1.de/index.php?page=index

Good luck!!!

Regards

[addsig]

xxxmgonzalez
English to Spanish
+ ...
AT&T Business Internet Services. Oct 16, 2002

http://www.attglobal.com/

Best regards. MG.

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I am very happy with my ftp account at Pair.com Oct 16, 2002

I am using pair.com since 1996, from Italy. I find them very reliable, professional and unexpensive. Their links must be good, as my site http://www.librettoweb.com comes up very quickly. I use an FTP account, with 100Mb, as many POP addresses as I want, mail forwarding, statistics and ftp and web interface... And I am debited $5,95 monthly on my credit card, with email invoicing.

No cgi are allowed with ftp account (but there are a couple of batch routines available, somehow). Today I am not using their mail server directly (I have my mail forwarded on another server) but I am quite sure their POP server works fine and is always accessible.

I used to have a reseller ID, but I never used it, and I cannot find it anymore... So, I am not getting paid for this suggestion.

Ciao,

Luca

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
As a platinum member, you are entitled to free hosting at ProZ.com Oct 16, 2002

ProZ.com offers free hosting to platinum members. If one email address will be sufficient, and you won\'t be doing any database stuff on your website, the ProZ.com solution will be adequate.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-17 01:49 ]

Use your domain with ProZ.com hosting Oct 17, 2002

You can now use your existing domain with ProZ.com hosting. This is completely free for Platinum members. The process is simple, more information is available at:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=hosting/index#transfer

It meets your three requirements: POP account, can be accessed from anywhere, and there are no ads in the emails you send.

Jason

Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:37
German to English
+ ...
I am using Ginko on the road in Germany Oct 17, 2002

I have the same problem as you. I have my office in Japan with an 8Mbs ADSL connection, so going back to modem is a p* in the b* by itself.

Being on the road is always a problem. I used first the GRICDIAL roaming service, to which my local ISP - Global Online - is a member, but this was not very reliable and I had lot of problems with settings and their software.

So I can understand that your main problem is getting connected on the road and less being hosted. There are plenty of possibilities to be hosted for free (including PROZ), but that does not help you much if you are sitting in a hotel room in another country. Unfortunately the free dial-in accounts vanished with the crash of the Internet advertising boom.

In America I use the account of a friend to dial-up. This works fine. In Germany I used UUnet, but their e-mail became inaccesible from Japan, so I dumped them this spring.

I have now signed up for an account at \"Ginko\" http://www.ginko.net

They have an account WITHOUT monthly fees. I pay a flat fee of Euro 0.015 per minute log in time including the line fees (!), which is still a great price and even cheaper than most roaming fees, the larger ISPs like AOL, AT&T etc. ask for. As there is no monthly fee, it does not matter, if I do not use it for most of the year.

You can probably find a similar service in other European countries.

So if your concern is getting online abroad to a limited number of countries, this might be the solution for you.

When selecting a hosting service in the US (I use http://www.powweb.com at $8 per month with very good results!) you have to find out if they allow \"First POP then SMTP\" for their e-mail access. The reason is that, for sending e-mail, as SPAM protection no ISP does allow access to their e-mail server from a third party dial-up connection.

With \"First POP then SMTP\" you first donwload your e-mail from your in-box into your laptop, which means you have to identify yourself with user name and password. Now the computer knows that you are entitled to this account and allows you for a limited period of time to SEND e-mail as well. The settings for your e-mail client are sometimes a bit tricky, so get good advice in advance, before you sit in your hotel room without your usual ressources.

Good luck

Hans-Henning Judek

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-17 08:46 ]

Jessica Klingberg  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone Oct 18, 2002

These are all very good and valid options and I\'m going to look into all of them. Thank you very much.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I have my own domain name, can someone suggest a good ISP?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search