For Finnish translators: MOT dictionaries by Kielikone - any experience?
Thread poster: Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
Oct 18, 2002

Has anyone used the MOT dictionaries by Kielikone? http://www.kielikone.fi/kielikone/tuotteet/mot_sanakirjat.shtml

Are they worth buying? Can they be used in conjunction with Trados?

Any comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Minna

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-18 15:47 ]

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 16:40
English
+ ...
Contact an old 'n' trusted friend of mine Oct 18, 2002

[email protected]

He\'ll be delighted to advise. If he doesn\'t know (somewhat unlikely) he can direct you.

Best regards. BTW his first name is Jukka.
[addsig]

Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)
Minna Wood MITI (Purring CAT Ltd.) (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Arthur.... Oct 18, 2002

Is this trusted friend of yours a translator himself too?

Thanks.

Minna

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 16:40
English
+ ...
Yes. Oct 19, 2002

!

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 04:40
Swedish to English
+ ...
Try another vendor, possibly Oct 20, 2002

You may wish to try Wordfinder.se located in southern Sweden, as they do provide the Finnish-English-Finnish electronic dictionary from Kielikone. I think they are a tad cheaper than the grossly overpriced MOT system. Incidentally, stay away from Dictor, a four-language, but highly substandard dictionary, and definitely not worth its moderate price tag of some 40 euros.

Moreover, Kielikone\'s Morfo program is ripoff, a glorified spell checker for into Finnish translators/w
... See more
You may wish to try Wordfinder.se located in southern Sweden, as they do provide the Finnish-English-Finnish electronic dictionary from Kielikone. I think they are a tad cheaper than the grossly overpriced MOT system. Incidentally, stay away from Dictor, a four-language, but highly substandard dictionary, and definitely not worth its moderate price tag of some 40 euros.

Moreover, Kielikone\'s Morfo program is ripoff, a glorified spell checker for into Finnish translators/writers.

Also, purchasing from Kielikone is a bit of a hassle, in that it has to go through the Academic bookstore in Helsinki, a different vendor altogether and the back-and-forthing seems a bit cumbersome. I know this because I have already done so.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-21 14:07 ]
Collapse

Torben AXELSEN
Torben AXELSEN  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 11:40
Member (2007)
Finnish to Danish
+ ...
Any Experiences with Sanakirja.net's electronic dictionaries? Oct 21, 2002

Apparently one should conclude that it is better to try some alternative solution for an electronic dictionary.

Therefore the question is whether anyone has experiences with the electronic dictionaries of Sanakirja.net, either in online version or cd-version? Including the FIN>DAN and FIN>NOR or FIN>SWE parts?

Reference: http://www.sanakirja.net

Torben Axelsen

Kajaa
... See more
Apparently one should conclude that it is better to try some alternative solution for an electronic dictionary.

Therefore the question is whether anyone has experiences with the electronic dictionaries of Sanakirja.net, either in online version or cd-version? Including the FIN>DAN and FIN>NOR or FIN>SWE parts?

Reference: http://www.sanakirja.net

Torben Axelsen

Kajaani, Finland
Collapse

Yngve Roennike
Yngve Roennike
Local time: 04:40
Swedish to English
+ ...
sanakirja = sandstone oy? Nov 16, 2002

The URL you provided links to a password protected site. Through some navigation I reach instead a company called sandstone oy, offering apparently also some electronic dictionaries, although that is not quite clear.

Any experience with these guys or the Sanakirja ones? From what I understand, the sanakirja offering is the electronic version of Werner Söderström Osakeyhtiö aka WSOY, while Kielikone is not, and I don’t know what their source is.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

For Finnish translators: MOT dictionaries by Kielikone - any experience?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »