basic softwares for beginners in translation
Thread poster: Djidji74

Djidji74
Local time: 22:40
Arabic to English
+ ...
Dec 20, 2006

Hi everybody,
I am still a second year student in Applied Translation here in London. however I am very enthusiastic to learn and gain experience in translation mainly via proz before I graduate. Also , as I am starting my placement in an a translation agency in May 2007, I would like to learn other computer skills in order to work comfortably during my probationary period. So far, I use powerpoint, excell, word, ( all windows ms office) and Mac.
But I see on Proz ads that I am missing a lot and I haven't yet used most of the softwares translators use.
Would any one of you advise me with which of the following softwares to start earning: wordfast, Trados, dreamwaer, adobe acrobat, dejavu, ...etc.

This would really help me to have clear ideas.
Please help.
Djidji

Direct link Reply with quote

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 23:40
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Hallo Djidji74... Dec 20, 2006

Hi!

You have made a good start by linking up with ProZ.com. I find it really enjoyable, inspiring and even sometimes demanding, being a part of this world wide community. I have learned much, have been able to contribute to solutions for fellow-translators, and have increased my opportunities for work, through the lists here.

I see you have already answered (and gained points for) a question in one of your language pairs. This shows potential clients/employers that you are serious, and are taken seriously by your peers in the translation world.

I would also suggest that you make yourself familiar with the excellent template "Wordfast" for your first CAT "program". It's not really a program per se, but enhances the strengths of Word for the translator.

You can really do a lot of work (quite a few "real" jobs) with the free version, and then you can upgrade to the licensed version if you need to. The other software packages you mention are very expensive, and should only be bought if you are sure you will get a return on your investment by the extra jobs that they (MIGHT) attract. That said, some customers will require/perfer that you have Trados.

Welcome to the wonderful world of translating, making words mean more to our fellow beings on the planet, and learning that things are not always just as they appear in print!!

And especially welcome to ProZ!

Bill

PS: When I pronounce your screen name (in my native English) get a picture of a horse in my mind: no offence intended Gee-gee is our children's baby talk for horse!
Unless you have good reasons to do otherwise, you will be a much more "personal" member of the group if we can call you by a "real" name!! Just a suggestion.

Djidji74
Local time: 22:40
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your advice on softwares Dec 20, 2006

Hi Bill,
I really appreciate the time you've spared to answer the query of a basic element in proz.

So you are suggesting to me that I start with WORDFAST before I try any other software? But Where can I get it, or can I just download it from google? please advise!
Djidji is a nickname I use to make it easy for native English to call me. They find it difficult to pronounce my real name, Djedjiga,
the meaning is " flower",
ججيقة in Arabic
Jeğğiga ( in Berber modern transcript)
And if you want to learn how to write in its original language " Tifinagh" you need to know the pronunciation of its letters, to learn about my origins you can browse these links:

http://www.omniglot.com/writing/tifinagh.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berber_languages

And if you are native Norwegian, you can pronounce the Berber letters easily becasue I have already taught them to a Norwegian who live in Bergen and he fids it very similar to our sounds.

I could bother you with other questions in the future. Thanks for all.
Djedjiga

William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 23:40
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Hello Djedjiga Dec 20, 2006

Thanks for all that interesting information! You name is much better than the association I had with the screen name!! I wonder if you are a man or a woman, now!! Sorry, we Englishmen are rather isolationist by nature and historically, so have to ask such questions.

Wordfast you will find for download here:
http://www.wordfast.net/

Enjoy.

Feel free to contact me again. I don't know much, but am willing to share what I have! That way, I learn too.

I am a native of Northern Ireland, grew up in New Zealand, and have lived in Norway since 1995. More about me at:
www.proz.com/profile/130405

Not sure of your religion either, but I would like to wish you a Happy Christmas, which is happening all around me here in mid-winter Norway!

Bill

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 17:40
Spanish
+ ...
Metatexis Dec 20, 2006

Hello Djidji, you have a beautiful name indeed.

I found Metatexis, another CAT tool, to be extremely easy to use, even more than Wordfast. The manual alone is very helpful for begginers. But it's up to you which one you like better.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

basic softwares for beginners in translation

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 only €415 / $495
Get the cheapest prices for SDL Trados Studio 2017 on ProZ.com

Join this translator’s group buy brought to you by ProZ.com and buy SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance for only €415 / $495 / £325 / ¥60,000 You will also receive FREE access to our getting started eLearning program!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search