Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Link: Ask the experts in various subject areas (Spanish)
Thread poster: BelkisDV
BelkisDV
BelkisDV  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 10, 2002

Dear all,

While working on my last project I came across a website which has helped me tremendously, since the topic required specialized terms in almost every conceivable field which could not be found in any dictionary.

Check it out: http://www.todoexpertos.com

It\'s a great resource with professionals from all sorts of areas of specialization who w
... See more
Dear all,

While working on my last project I came across a website which has helped me tremendously, since the topic required specialized terms in almost every conceivable field which could not be found in any dictionary.

Check it out: http://www.todoexpertos.com

It\'s a great resource with professionals from all sorts of areas of specialization who will answer your question for points. The only difference is...that they know the correct answer and we don\'t have to play the guessing game.

Cheers

Belkis
Collapse

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 07:34
German to English
+ ...
Shame its all in Spanish Nov 10, 2002

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
So... ProZ is all guesswork? Nov 10, 2002

Quote:

It\'s a great resource with professionals from all sorts of areas of specialization who will answer your question for points. The only difference is...that they know the correct answer and we don\'t have to play the guessing game.

...meaning that people answering questions on ProZ don\'t know the correct answer?

Margaret Marks
Margaret Marks
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:34
German to English
www.allexperts.com Nov 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-10 15:26, alison1969 wrote:

Shame

It\'s probably a copy of www.allexperts.com

Someone sent me there once when I wanted to know if there is a difference between Normal Null and Hamburger Null, i.e. water level, and there was a German geologist there ... See more
Quote:

On 2002-11-10 15:26, alison1969 wrote:

Shame

It\'s probably a copy of www.allexperts.com

Someone sent me there once when I wanted to know if there is a difference between Normal Null and Hamburger Null, i.e. water level, and there was a German geologist there answering questions in English. It was useful and I believed him (although I don\'t think you can know if experts are right unless you\'re one yourself.) ▲ Collapse

Margaret Marks
Margaret Marks
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:34
German to English
It's a copy Nov 10, 2002

It\'s a copy of www.allexperts.com, or maybe associated with it.

Someone sent me there when I wanted to know the difference between Normal Null and Hamburger Null (there is none). There was a German geologist there answering questions in English. It was useful.

(Sorry if this is a duplicate - my first answer didn\'t appear).

JCEC
JCEC  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
Let's be fair Nov 10, 2002

Dear Belkis,

I find your comment a bit unfair, although I\'m sure you didn\'t quite mean it in the way it may sound to some.

A senior business consultant once told me \"Free advice is worth what you pay for it\". This is true of any advice given by volunteers whether on ProZ or allexperts.

Please remember that people answering questions under Proz are experts in their own right. You can be an expert in a given field and not have a cl
... See more
Dear Belkis,

I find your comment a bit unfair, although I\'m sure you didn\'t quite mean it in the way it may sound to some.

A senior business consultant once told me \"Free advice is worth what you pay for it\". This is true of any advice given by volunteers whether on ProZ or allexperts.

Please remember that people answering questions under Proz are experts in their own right. You can be an expert in a given field and not have a clue of how to translate a term properly.

Also, a great number of the best translators I have ever met in my life are bilingual or multilingual experts turned translators.

Let\'s just be thankful that there are still people willing to help others.

Have a good weekend,

John

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-10 18:41 ]
Collapse

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hmmmmmm Nov 10, 2002

[/quote]

Who guarantees the quality of the answer there ?

In my proz life I realized that the best way to rank translators is not their answers but the quality of their questions.

[/quote]

Who guarantees the quality of the answers here? If you visit the site you will see that the Pro\'s credentials are listed, you can also contact them privately. The quality of the questions posed in that site, in my opinion, is higher than some of
... See more
[/quote]

Who guarantees the quality of the answer there ?

In my proz life I realized that the best way to rank translators is not their answers but the quality of their questions.

[/quote]

Who guarantees the quality of the answers here? If you visit the site you will see that the Pro\'s credentials are listed, you can also contact them privately. The quality of the questions posed in that site, in my opinion, is higher than some of the questions that have appeared in ProZ.

On another note, the site is in Spanish but they answer questions in English also.

I would also like to point out that this is not an attack to ProZ, but merely, as the category suggests a RESOURCE for those who may need it.

Cheers!

Belkis

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-10 18:34 ]
Collapse

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Ralph Nov 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-10 15:28, Lemster wrote:

...meaning that people answering questions on ProZ don\'t know the correct answer?

[/quote]

No, sometimes they don\'t, we all know that.

Mariflor Salas
Mariflor Salas  Identity Verified
Venezuela
English to Spanish
Not every answer is correct Nov 10, 2002

For my own experience:

I look at the Proz glossaries very often and many times they haven been a great resource. But I have to say that occasionally I have found wrong answers too, answers that were accepted as \"correct.\" Remember, these glossaries are of our own making and yes, they do have mistakes. When in doubt, it\'s worth also rechecking the answer somewhere else to eliminate the \"guessing game.\"

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Wow! Nov 10, 2002

Thanks a lot Belkis and Zirbelholz, this looks exactly like what I\'ve been after for some time - I hope it works. I\'ll report back once I\'ve tried it.

Update:

Thinking about it, what I\'ve been looking for is this exact service but organised the way ProZ.com is: questions open to all, with records of past questions and answers on your profile page... instead of the askers having to e-mail the experts directly, which is pr
... See more
Thanks a lot Belkis and Zirbelholz, this looks exactly like what I\'ve been after for some time - I hope it works. I\'ll report back once I\'ve tried it.

Update:

Thinking about it, what I\'ve been looking for is this exact service but organised the way ProZ.com is: questions open to all, with records of past questions and answers on your profile page... instead of the askers having to e-mail the experts directly, which is probably both slower, less efficient and less transparent - but a great site nevertheless.

And once again a big thankyou to Proz\' founders seems to be in order for inventing this wonderfully organised site.

BTW, quality on this site is abundant, you just have to know how to find it and how to separate the wheat from the chaff.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-11-10 18:55 ]
Collapse

Antonella Andreella (X)
Antonella Andreella (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Translator = Omniscient ? Nov 10, 2002

Omniscient (Om*nis\"cient) (?), a.

[Omni- + L. sciens, -entis, p. pr. of scire to know: cf. F. omniscient. See Science.]

Having universal knowledge; knowing all things

Well, I don\'t think that being a translator means knowing everything, not even in one\'s own field of expertise... otherwise it could all become so boring...

Sometimes we get a disagree for a correct answer and sometimes we get points for a wrong answer... that\'s life
... See more
Omniscient (Om*nis\"cient) (?), a.

[Omni- + L. sciens, -entis, p. pr. of scire to know: cf. F. omniscient. See Science.]

Having universal knowledge; knowing all things

Well, I don\'t think that being a translator means knowing everything, not even in one\'s own field of expertise... otherwise it could all become so boring...

Sometimes we get a disagree for a correct answer and sometimes we get points for a wrong answer... that\'s life!

Antonella

Collapse

mk_lab
mk_lab  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 08:34
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
This site looks funny Nov 10, 2002

This site looks funny. Science together with teens, movies, etc. How do you know that they are \"experts\"?

Anyway, let\'s try to compare. Post your 3-5 questions (saying Tech/Eng) both at ProZ and at www.todoexpertos.com. We\'ll see.

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
no guarantees anywhere Nov 10, 2002

I\'ve used a couple of these sites where \"experts\" answer questions, and except for one occasion, was quite disappointed with the quality of the answers. The art \"experts,\" for example, despite their \"qualifications\" and \"credentials\" (which, of course, we have no way of verifying), were not able to provide a satisfactory answer to one of my questions (I eventually found the answer myself). I won\'t even mention the quality of some of the answers given by the Spanish-language \"experts... See more
I\'ve used a couple of these sites where \"experts\" answer questions, and except for one occasion, was quite disappointed with the quality of the answers. The art \"experts,\" for example, despite their \"qualifications\" and \"credentials\" (which, of course, we have no way of verifying), were not able to provide a satisfactory answer to one of my questions (I eventually found the answer myself). I won\'t even mention the quality of some of the answers given by the Spanish-language \"experts\"--and most of the questions I saw in that section were about on a par with many of the easy questions here, i.e., kids trying to get someone to do their homework for them. Anyone can be a self-proclaimed expert by filling out a profile--just as anyone here can be a self-proclaimed translator.

Bottom line: there\'s no guarantee that you\'ll get a correct answer anywhere, but that doesn\'t mean you have to throw the baby out with the bathwater! You just have to be discerning enough--and know enough about your subject matter, which you should if you\'re translating it--to be able to separate the good answers from the bad.

My 2 cents.
Collapse

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's a good source Nov 10, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-10 18:17, dinnye wrote:

Thinking about it, what I\'ve been looking for is this exact service but organised the way ProZ.com is: questions open to all, with records of past questions and answers on your profile page... instead of the askers having to e-mail the experts directly, which is probably both slower, less efficient and less transparent - but a great site nevertheless.

<
... See more
Quote:

On 2002-11-10 18:17, dinnye wrote:

Hello again,

I\'m not sure if you noticed that the site does have a tracking feature for previous answers given by the issuer. Emailing the experts is just an option in case you do not want to publish your question in the Open Forum.

The site has worked for me, and I do not just take an answer without doing my own research after I receive it. However, my own research did confirm that the answers I received were correct for the context. An example of this was the term \"anti-scaling\", which appeared throughout one of the water treatment documents I\'ve been translating. First I looked it up in my dictionaries and it did not appear anywhere, then I researched the web using numerous combinations of words both en English and Spanisn, and still did not find it. Then I submitted the question to Todoexpertos and 3 answers were provided, the answers were the same and also provided synonyms from which I chose the one most appropriate for the market the job was going to. In case you are wondering, the answer was \"anti-incrustante\", which are solutions that are used against cluttering of the filtration medium used to purify the water used for human consumption. Once I had the term, I looked it up again on the web and voila, I confirmed that it was the correct answer.

I did not see any \"kiddie\" questions, but rather highly technical questions asked by professionals such as ourselves. Again, this was just my experience and hopefully a good source for when we\'re really stuck.

Regards,

Belkis

Collapse

BelkisDV
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
With all due respect Nov 11, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-11-10 21:41, 1964 wrote:

If the job is not within your expertise, why do you(All \'you\'s are \"impersonal\" ) ask others instead of leaving it to capable hands of \"experts\".

I\'m not sure about the rest of you, but I for one do not know all the words in the English language. On a job which consists of 50,000 + words I asked ONE question. The rest of my
... See more
Quote:

On 2002-11-10 21:41, 1964 wrote:

If the job is not within your expertise, why do you(All \'you\'s are \"impersonal\" ) ask others instead of leaving it to capable hands of \"experts\".

I\'m not sure about the rest of you, but I for one do not know all the words in the English language. On a job which consists of 50,000 + words I asked ONE question. The rest of my doubts or questions were resolved by doing my own research and reading hundreds of articles, brochures, publications, websites about equipment, procesess etc. Due to which, my client was highly appreciative of my work and gave me another long term assignment. We as translators are not omniscient, as someone else said earlier, we have to learn and grow every day and keep up with new technologies (for which there are NO experts)just like all other professionals.

Belkis
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Link: Ask the experts in various subject areas (Spanish)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »