Thread poster: Anna Moorby DipTrans
Anna Moorby DipTrans
Anna Moorby DipTrans  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Nov 11, 2002

In a document I am translating there are chunks of citations from a law from the Dominican Republic. Does anyone know of an online resource whereby you can search for laws and find their translations in English? I don\'t want to get this wrong. Also it would save me a lot of time ;o)

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ready-made translations are hard to come by Nov 11, 2002

unless they have been cited in studies, in the UN or in related agencies (see supplementary studies links in the page below, for example). However, this link helps to context a lot of them:

http://www.natlaw.com/domrep/domrep.htm

(It would have been easier if you had asked for the German Civil Code).

Spencer Allman
Spencer Allman
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:01
Finnish to English
Unofficial translations Nov 12, 2002

I don\'t know if this will help but I use a website that contains translations of some Finnish laws. They are usually marked \'unofficial translations\' which suggests to me that one could do the same: produce an \'unofficial translation\' and mark it so. Unless a translation of a law has been used officially I suppose that it has to remain \'unofficial\' as simply a working document. Perhaps it is unlikely that national laws will be translated into other languages - what would be the point? (Un... See more
I don\'t know if this will help but I use a website that contains translations of some Finnish laws. They are usually marked \'unofficial translations\' which suggests to me that one could do the same: produce an \'unofficial translation\' and mark it so. Unless a translation of a law has been used officially I suppose that it has to remain \'unofficial\' as simply a working document. Perhaps it is unlikely that national laws will be translated into other languages - what would be the point? (Unless it be for information). But I am afraid I can only speak for Finnish law.

In the case of EU legislation I believe the policy now is to produce \'language versions\' of new laws, thus acknowledging the \'impossibility\' of translating legislation?

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translations of Laws

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »