Which one do you prefer? Blackberry or PDA?
Thread poster: Teresa Bento

Teresa Bento  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:09
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jan 8, 2007

Hi everyone,

I'd really like to know the pros and cons of having a Blackberry or a PDA. Which one would you prefer, being a freelance translator who always needs to stay on top of things? Do you know which one is the most useful? And the most economic/ effective? I've been reading about both and I can't seem to figure out which one is the most suitable for someone like me. Any suggestions?
All comments are welcome!

[Edited at 2007-01-08 23:41]

Direct link Reply with quote

Herminia Herrándiz Espuny  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
My experience with both... Jan 9, 2007

I have a PDA and a Blackberry... the PDA was useless for me since it didn't have permanent connection to the Internet (only through Wireless) so I couldn't check my emails anywhere.

With the Blackberry I have total access to my email at anytime and I use it every single day. The monthly fee is €40 for this service (in Spain).

I only use them in order to be connected to my email when I am not in front of my PC, but not to work with texts or anything like that.

If you want a permanent connection to the Internet and the possibility to visualize documents and work with them you should consider a Treo (although they are still pretty expensive).

Herminia

sorry for my English... too late to be thinking in another language

Mulyadi Subali  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 06:09
English to Indonesian
+ ...
other alternative Jan 9, 2007

you may consider a pdaphone, such as treo. i have one myself, treo 650, and so far it's really facilitating. the highlights:
- email: i set versamail, email client, to check on my gmail every half an hour. it's not push-email, such as blackberry, but it's still pretty good. i can download work related attachments in the form of office files, zips.
- modem: i can use it as dun modem for my laptop through bluetooth connection.
- office files: i can read, edit, create native microsoft office files directly using docs2go. i can also read pdf files after upgrading to version 8.
- entertainment: i can watch movies (compressed to 3gp), listen to mp3s, play games etc. as it has palm os, there are many softwares that you can choose.
i guess those are the ones i use the most. hope i don't sound like vouching for palm...

Larissa Dinsley  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Windows mobile PDA phone Jan 9, 2007

Hi Teresa,

They come under different brand names (HTC, i-Mate, Dopod) and they are really good. They act as a phone, PDA, have a variety of connectivity options, and some even have a sliding keyboard (which I have found to be extremely useful).

Last - but not least - they are very stylish and compact. But, of course, they are pricy...

I have got my Dopod from Singapore and simply love it.

[Edited at 2007-01-09 07:48]

Sarah Appleby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Agree - try a Windows Mobile PDA phone Jan 9, 2007

I have a T-Mobile MDA (O2 offer the exact same phone and call it an XDA) and I would be lost without it!
For a low monthly fee I can set it to check my e-mail automatically every 15 mins so it beeps to alert me, it synchronises with Outlook on my PC and I can open Word/Excel/PPT/PDF files. I have even translated tiny jobs on it when on the move without booting up my laptop. If you are ever somewhere where you can't get online you can download files straight from it via USB (in my case I was still able to work in a powercut and storm up a Spanish mountain!). It is so flexible!
I looked into getting a Blackberry but they don't seem to be as effective as a phone, whereas my current handset does everything and because the keyboard slides out it is far more discreet.

[Edited at 2007-01-09 09:27]

[Edited at 2007-01-09 09:28]

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 00:09
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
PDA Jan 9, 2007

I bought myself a PDA at the end of last year. I don't use it for my e-mails unless I'm really stuck (I tend to get between 100 - 300 mails a day!). However I do use it as a notepad and diary which is great - especially because I can synchronize the diary and task list with my PC, which means that I don't forget any of my dates.

It also has Mobile Word and Excel and I bought myself a folding keyboard to go with it, so (in theory at least) I can take it with me instead of my laptop when I'm travelling on business and work while I'm on the road.

I wouldn't want to do without it.

Alison

Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
Palm T3 PDA Jan 9, 2007

Technically it's a bit old hat (mine is 3 years old) but when paired with the right phone it's absolutely brilliant if you're on the move for receiving e-mail, Word/xls attachments and doing the usual diary things.

Great screen too, not just for the work stuff but for your photo gallery and even movies. There's also a wifi expansion card when you're in range of a network; I tend to use mine mostly with my phone (SonyEricsson) though.

Perhaps the nearest thing in an"all in one" package is the Treo which others have commented on above, which is also a Palm product under the skin.

Happy hunting
DB

Amy Williams  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Italian to English
+ ...
BlackBerry alternative - Nokia E61 smartphone Jan 10, 2007

I've had a Nokia E61 on a T-Mobile contract since November and am very happy with it. It gives me e-mail and web browsing wherever I am, synchronises with Outlook and is packed with features.

There's a review here:
http://www.trustedreviews.com/mobile-devices/review/2006/06/28/Nokia-E61/p1.

Best of luck,
Amy

lolakatkin
Portuguese
Blackberry and cut-price sim cards using abroad Aug 30, 2007

I am joining this debate... i am considering buyibng a blackberry. to date i have used a mobile phone and a handheld (Ipaq) for receiving emails. i have used the handheld for years (4) and it has been quite adequate, but i am keen to get the push email etc. I am going to spend in the future quite a bit of time out of the UK and have been investigating using cut-price sim cards for cheaper calls abroad. has anyone used these, and also has anyone heard of anyone using one with a blackberry.

also was interested in the person (sorry can't remember the name) who used his blackberry for emails and had another ordinary mobile for calls... would be interested in hearing more about this.

warmes twishes
Vivian

[Edited at 2007-08-30 21:14]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which one do you prefer? Blackberry or PDA?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search