Update on IATE (Inter-Agency Terminology Exchange)
Thread poster: Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:46
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jan 15, 2007

For those interested, I've just received a response to my enquiry of 31 December 2006 regarding the public roll-out date for IATE:

"The opening of IATE to the public is now scheduled for the second half of March 2007.

Until then Eurodicautom will remain accessible (http://europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/Controller). Please note that Eurodicautom had some technical pr
... See more
For those interested, I've just received a response to my enquiry of 31 December 2006 regarding the public roll-out date for IATE:

"The opening of IATE to the public is now scheduled for the second half of March 2007.

Until then Eurodicautom will remain accessible (http://europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/Controller). Please note that Eurodicautom had some technical problems recently. The system is, however, up and running again.

Best regards,

IATE Support Team
Translation Centre for the Bodies of the EU"

[Edited at 2007-01-15 10:49]

[Título editado por el personal o un moderador 2008-02-02 21:12]
Collapse

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:46
Portuguese to English
URL? Jan 15, 2007

Will the publicly accessible URL for IATE be published in March, or would you be kind enough to inform Prozians if you know it?

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 13:46
Italian to Danish
+ ...
IATE Jan 15, 2007

Let's hope it's not just a "standard reply". I received the same information as answer to my inquiry and, apart from changing the expected date from "end of 2006" to "end of March", the text is word by word corresponding to the previous information.

Well, there is nothing else to do than just wait for them to get ready!

Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Replies Jan 15, 2007

@ Lexical - the only URL I know of links to a test database and I'm advised they blocked access to it after it was posted on various sites because it was affecting performance.

The latest date we've been given for public access is indeed sometime in March 2007. Time will tell

@ Dinny - sure it is a standard response but that's the latest news anyhow.

We can only hope and keep enquiring as ea
... See more
@ Lexical - the only URL I know of links to a test database and I'm advised they blocked access to it after it was posted on various sites because it was affecting performance.

The latest date we've been given for public access is indeed sometime in March 2007. Time will tell

@ Dinny - sure it is a standard response but that's the latest news anyhow.

We can only hope and keep enquiring as each deadline passes. They are not happy with current performance levels and say it's simply not ready to be used by the public yet.

I've diarised my end to follow up again mid March. I'll post another response when I get a further update.

Bye for now
Debs

[Edited at 2007-01-15 16:02]
Collapse

Claudio Nasso
Claudio Nasso  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 12:46
English to Italian
+ ...
IATE - March 2007 Jan 16, 2007

Dear All,

I have received this E-mail, from a relative of mine working in the EU translation Dpt.

It should confirm March 2007 release to public:
IATE term base about to open to the public

The official opening of our IATE interinstitutional terminology database is scheduled in March 2007. However, to make sure that IATE works perfectly by then, you are all invited to test this new version now (for the time being, it is restricted to internal users) and to send your comments and feedback to the XXXXX mailbox.

He says that he is working with IATE since 18 months, finding it quite good, even if "a good and clever search with Google would produce similar results".

I have never seen the new interface (for internal EU translators' eyes only) and I'm waiting for the IATE opening to public and, in the meanwhile, I'm going on with Eurodicautom.

Claudio

[Edited at 2007-01-16 07:56]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Removed at the poster's request
Deborah do Carmo
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same letter Jan 18, 2007

Barbara Freitas wrote:

The IATE database has been put into production in the EU's translation services in the summer of 2004. It is not yet accessible to the public. The URL you have used is a link to a test database; when we noticed that this url has been published in various newsgroups on the internet we had to
block the access to avoid performance problems. The system is today simply not ready to be used by the public. However, the developments that are necessary to make IATE available to external users with a satisfying level of service are ongoing.

The opening of IATE to the public is now scheduled for hte second half of March 2007.

Until then Eurodicautom will remain accessible (http://europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/Controller). Please note that Eurodicautom had some technical problems recently. The system is, however, up and running again.

Best regards,

Language Technology Section
Translation Centre for the Bodies of the European Union

Yes, this is the standard letter they are sending out - is the one I got with the same typo - "hte second half of March 2007"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Update on IATE (Inter-Agency Terminology Exchange)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »