Seeking Windows Vista Menus resources
Thread poster: Languageman

Languageman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:02
German to English
+ ...
Feb 26, 2007

Hi,

Does anybody know of a comprehensive (or otherwise) list of standard Windows Vista menu options?

I'm starting to get a lot of translations that refer to Vista menus and would like to get the wording correct, as it appears in the software. German - English would be ideal, but English only would be a great help to.

TIA,

Stephen


 

Jennifer Baldwin  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:02
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
From Microsoft's website Feb 26, 2007

Stephen Powley wrote:

Hi,

Does anybody know of a comprehensive (or otherwise) list of standard Windows Vista menu options?

I'm starting to get a lot of translations that refer to Vista menus and would like to get the wording correct, as it appears in the software. German - English would be ideal, but English only would be a great help to.

TIA,

Stephen


I've found this site helpful for my technical writing work: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/UxGuide/UXGuide/Home.asp

Microsoft used to publish an Excel spreadsheet with its standard terminology in English along with many other languages, but I can't find it on their site right now.


 

Piotr Jańczuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:02
English to Polish
+ ...
Microsoft Terminology Translations in 59 languages Feb 26, 2007

Jennifer Baldwin wrote:
Microsoft used to publish an Excel spreadsheet with its standard terminology in English along with many other languages, but I can't find it on their site right now.


They still do. -> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/MILSGlossary.mspx


 

Languageman  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:02
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 27, 2007

Thanks both, useful sites.

I checked the Microsoft glossary, but this wasn't comprehensive enough (believe it or not) for what I need here. What I'm looking for is a breakdown of all the menus and other interactive text that appear in Vista (presumably a huge amount!). This could include such things as the text that appears when you hover your mouse pointer over a icon on the task bar, or the wording within a Control Panel utility when you go to change a setting.

I suppose ultimately the only option might be to get a copy of Vista, but I'd rather avoid that.

Cheers,

Stephen


 

Jennifer Baldwin  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:02
Member (2005)
French to English
+ ...
Wonderful! Feb 27, 2007

Piotr Jańczuk wrote:

Jennifer Baldwin wrote:
Microsoft used to publish an Excel spreadsheet with its standard terminology in English along with many other languages, but I can't find it on their site right now.


They still do. -> http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/tools/MILSGlossary.mspx


Thanks for the link, Piotr! I'm bookmarking it so I don't lose it again. It's a great resource.


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking Windows Vista Menus resources

Advanced search







BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search