https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/67444-seeking_recommendation_for_french_technical_dictionaries.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Seeking Recommendation for French Technical Dictionaries
Thread poster: Julianne Rowland
Julianne Rowland
Julianne Rowland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:27
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2007

Can anyone recommend a good technical dictionary F > E? I would prefer one available on CD-ROM.

I have seen and am considering purchasing Ernst, but haven't been able to find it on CD-ROM.

Also, are there any comprehensive basic F > E/E > F dictionaries available on CD-ROM?

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:27
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
http://www.acolada.de/ Mar 3, 2007

where I bought mine. Excellent company and excellent dictionary - on CD-ROM

Sorry: I did not notice. My CDs are DE-FR-DE and DE-EN-DE.

The rest is true.

Mats

[Edited at 2007-03-03 19:40]

Julianne Rowland
United States
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the Link! Mar 3, 2007

Thank you for the link, Mats. I had looked everywhere and could only find the G-F/F-G Ernst on CD ROM. It looks like the F-E/E-F edition is brand new.

Best regards,

Julianne

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Basic F-E dictionary on CD-ROM Mar 3, 2007

Julianne Rowland wrote:

Also, are there any comprehensive basic F > E/E > F dictionaries available on CD-ROM?

You might like to check out my earlier thread on this very topic:

http://www.proz.com/topic/55550

I must say I am very happy with my purchase of the R + C; it's a bit more than 'basic', and I find it extremely comprehensive

[Edited at 2007-03-03 16:23]

Julianne Rowland
United States
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Where to Buy R + C? Mar 3, 2007

Hi Tony,

Actually, I found your thread after I posted mine and found some interesting information there.

Where did you purchase your Robert and Collins?

Thanks!

Julianne

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
One source for purchase over Internet with delivery in France Mar 3, 2007

Well, I had a bit of trouble tracking it down — and you do need to make sure you get the latest version 1.1 which dates from 2006, and which I think resolves some of the problems noted in the earlier version 1 [2004]. Some suppliers seem to still be listing the old one, or not to be aware which version they are selling!

I eventually ordered it from

www.fnac.com,

and I must say I was completely happy with the service I got.

I
... See more
Well, I had a bit of trouble tracking it down — and you do need to make sure you get the latest version 1.1 which dates from 2006, and which I think resolves some of the problems noted in the earlier version 1 [2004]. Some suppliers seem to still be listing the old one, or not to be aware which version they are selling!

I eventually ordered it from

www.fnac.com,

and I must say I was completely happy with the service I got.

I hadn't found it in my local store, but no doubt any branch of fnac could order it for you if you preferred (avoids paying carriage!)

[Edited at 2007-03-03 16:39]
Collapse

Melzie
Melzie
French to English
+ ...
My favorite R+C Mar 3, 2007

I would also say that if you're looking for purely technical try http://ec.europa.eu/eurodicautom/Controller, it can be very slow and sometimes overloaded but has the real advantage of being a repository of European technical terms. Sadly they no longer update it and there has been a message telling us "We shall keep you informed about further developments" for ages now. Does anyone know what... See more
I would also say that if you're looking for purely technical try http://ec.europa.eu/eurodicautom/Controller, it can be very slow and sometimes overloaded but has the real advantage of being a repository of European technical terms. Sadly they no longer update it and there has been a message telling us "We shall keep you informed about further developments" for ages now. Does anyone know what's happening?

[Edited at 2007-03-03 18:34]
Collapse

Julianne Rowland
United States
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
fnac or possibly amazon.ca? Mar 3, 2007

Since I am in the US, I first did a quick search on Amazon.com and I found it, but it looks like an earlier edition. I may try Amazon.ca, since they carry a wider selection of French-language resources. I will also have a look at fnac.com. International shipping for a CD ROM can't be that expensive. Actually, I ordered my Italian dictionary from Italy and had to pay about $30 for airmail shipping, but this was for a hard-copy dictionary plus CD-ROM.

Thanks again for your help.
... See more
Since I am in the US, I first did a quick search on Amazon.com and I found it, but it looks like an earlier edition. I may try Amazon.ca, since they carry a wider selection of French-language resources. I will also have a look at fnac.com. International shipping for a CD ROM can't be that expensive. Actually, I ordered my Italian dictionary from Italy and had to pay about $30 for airmail shipping, but this was for a hard-copy dictionary plus CD-ROM.

Thanks again for your help.

Julianne
Collapse

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
They have a new and apparently much better reference system.... Mar 3, 2007

Melzie wrote:

I would also say that if you're looking for purely technical try http://ec.europa.eu/eurodicautom/Controller, it can be very slow and sometimes overloaded but has the real advantage of being a repository of European technical terms. Sadly they no longer update it and there has been a message telling us "We shall keep you informed about further developments" for ages now. Does anyone know what's happening?

[Edited at 2007-03-03 18:34]

... but access is (still? forever??) restricted to those with EU and/or EP connections. The rest of us just pay the taxes to finance these institutions and their employees.

FYI-the restrictions listed here are still very much in force. As you can see, the 2006 access date mentioned ("we hope" is never a good sign in EU speak) is long gone. http://www.margaret-marks.com/Transblawg/archives/001482.html

[Edited at 2007-03-04 05:10]

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Caveat: Eurodicautom Mar 3, 2007

Melzie wrote:

I would also say that if you're looking for purely technical try http://ec.europa.eu/eurodicautom/Controller, it ... has the real advantage of being a repository of European technical terms.

I agree, albeit with a slight caveat; not all of the entries are equally authoritative, and it is always wise to seek external corroboration. Also, sadly, its search facilities are far from brilliant, in fact, nigh on useless for multi-word terms. But, as you say, a fantastic resource, if only access to it could be improved...

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sourcing Stateside Mar 3, 2007

Julianne Rowland wrote:

Since I am in the US, I first did a quick search on Amazon.com and I found it, but it looks like an earlier edition.

Yes, that was the problem I had with Amazon, even .fr — they just couldn't seem to make up their minds whether they had it or not.

Anyway, good luck sourcing it your side of the Pond, and if all else fails, get in touch with me and I'll see if I can help you get it from over here...

Melzie
Melzie
French to English
+ ...
US supplier Mar 4, 2007

I found this for you Julianne: http://www.elearnaid.com/noname3.html

Tony M, yet again I find myself agreeing with you totally

Writaway, I'm afraid I can't use your link, could you give me an alternative?

Julianne Rowland
United States
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the Link! Mar 4, 2007

Hi Melzie,

Thank you for the link - I really appreciate it!

And Tony, thank you also for your kind offer to help me locate a C + R.

Best regards,

Julianne

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Link OK, but may need editing in your browser address bar... Mar 4, 2007

Melzie wrote:

Tony M, yet again I find myself agreeing with you totally

Writaway, I'm afraid I can't use your link, could you give me an alternative?

(Thanks for the agreement! Nice to know that there are still plenty of us on the same wavelength here!)

More immediately, though, I just wanted to say that the link worked OK for me when I tried it, BUT you can't just click on it directly, as doing that stuck some spurious codes on the end; once it was in my browser address bar, I simply had to delet the extra characters on the end, so that it stops where it should, i.e. after the .html

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
While we're at it... Mar 4, 2007

Can someone give me feedback on the Routledge Technical EN < > FR dictionary, either on CD or in paper format? It is highly praised by those who are selling it, but users are mum...

Thanks!

[Edited at 2007-03-04 20:06]

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking Recommendation for French Technical Dictionaries

Translation news

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »