Thread poster: laura castori
laura castori
laura castori  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:02
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 6, 2007

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone of you knows a good specific vocabulary for tourism, travel etc.... Maybe one specific for translations related to hotels, restaurants etc...
I only found this "CD-ROM Duboux multilingual dictionary – 7 lingue" anyone of you know it???
Thanks for the help.

Michèle Ménard
Michèle Ménard  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:02
French to Italian
+ ...
Use the Internet Mar 6, 2007

I work mostly in this field and when I started I only had some common dictionaries and Internet to rely on. If you are keen in Internet searches you will be able to build up your own glossary in few weeks - so did I.

[Edited at 2007-03-06 15:58]

Pnina
Pnina
Israel
Local time: 11:02
Italian to Hebrew
+ ...
Travel Industry Dictionary Mar 7, 2007

Ciao, Laura.
Ti invito a visitare questo sito:
www.hometravelagency.com/dictionary/index.html
This link leads to a comprehensive dictionary of travel industry terms, which was created for travel agencies, home-based travel agents, and travel writers.
The dictionary is easy to use and can be helpful when a translator is looking for definitions of terms and phra
... See more
Ciao, Laura.
Ti invito a visitare questo sito:
www.hometravelagency.com/dictionary/index.html
This link leads to a comprehensive dictionary of travel industry terms, which was created for travel agencies, home-based travel agents, and travel writers.
The dictionary is easy to use and can be helpful when a translator is looking for definitions of terms and phrases that are used in the special jargon of the travel business.
Collapse

biankonera
biankonera  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 11:02
Italian to Latvian
+ ...
tourism Mar 7, 2007

tourism is a field where there is no one big universal dictionary suitable for all the world due to the fact that its a very versatile field.
from my own experience I can say over the course of time you will end up with your own dictionary (if you specialize in this field) and it will be made up of terms from general dictionaries, wine terminology, culinary, hotel and hospitality and other terminology.
Also as previous poster mentioned Internet is of great help.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tourism, travel specific glossary

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »