Katia Perry  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 12:12
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 14, 2007

Dear colleagues,
May someone tell me if there is some practical way of counting words/characters/lines in power point?
TIA
Katia

Francesca Botto Hill
Francesca Botto Hill
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:12
German to Italian
+ ...
file > properties > statistics Mar 14, 2007

Hi Katia,

this should be an easy method:

file > properties > statistics (I have ppt in Italian, so I hope I got the names right

HTH

Francesca

Erik Hansson
Erik Hansson  Identity Verified
Germany
Swedish
+ ...
Properties > Statistics Mar 14, 2007

Hi Katia,

One way could be Properties > Statistics. This will give you a small window with some data.

I set up an empty PPT file, filled it with some words and the statistics were OK, but I'm not sure if this stay the same if the PPT contains tables, graphs and so on.

Erik

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.
Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 10:12
English to Spanish
+ ...
File > Properties > Statistics Mar 14, 2007

Oi!

You can open the file in MS PowerPoint. Then go to File > Properties > Statistics. On that screen you will send the number of paragraphs and of words.

The number usually includes text boxes, but I am not sure about graphs and MS Excel charts.

Good luck!

Patricia

[Edited at 2007-03-14 14:26]

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:12
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Click on "Properties" Mar 14, 2007

perry wrote:

Dear colleagues,
May someone tell me if there is some practical way of counting words/characters/lines in power point?
TIA
Katia

In my experience, you usually have to count the words "slide" by "slide". Click somewhere in the slide, then click on "File" and then "Properties", and it will give you the word count for that slide. That's one of the reasons why PowerPoint files are so cumbersome to translate!
I did have one or two PowerPoint files in which it was possible to count all the words by clicking on "Properties" at the beginning of the document. Don't know why.
Kind regards,
Jenny.

Nicholas Ferreira
Nicholas Ferreira  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 11:12
Spanish to English
+ ...
I use QuickCount for word count in most files Mar 14, 2007

Perry,

I downloaded a program called QuickCount that allows me to get the word count (and line and character count) of a whole range of files, from Word, Excel and PowerPoint, to .pdf and .html.

Alternatively, if I translate the .ppt file with the help of a CAT tool like Wordfast, when I clean the document at the end it gives me the word count and other statistics useful for billing.

lexical
lexical  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 17:12
Portuguese to English
Don't rely too much on Properties Mar 14, 2007

The wordcount given in File > Properties > Statistics in PowerPoint can vary widely from one computer to another - I don't know why. I've had disputes with clients about this, with differences of up to 20%.

Get some counting software as Nicholas suggests. Another good one (and free) is
... See more
The wordcount given in File > Properties > Statistics in PowerPoint can vary widely from one computer to another - I don't know why. I've had disputes with clients about this, with differences of up to 20%.

Get some counting software as Nicholas suggests. Another good one (and free) is FineCount. http://www.tilti.com/new/en/index.php?id=2_finecount&pc_code=&ver=
Collapse

Katia Perry
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you, Nicholas, I´ll try QuickCount and see. Mar 14, 2007

Nicholas Ferreira wrote:

Perry,

I downloaded a program called QuickCount that allows me to get the word count (and line and character count) of a whole range of files, from Word, Excel and PowerPoint, to .pdf and .html.

Alternatively, if I translate the .ppt file with the help of a CAT tool like Wordfast, when I clean the document at the end it gives me the word count and other statistics useful for billing.

Katia Perry
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for your advice Mar 14, 2007

lexical wrote:

Get some counting software as Nicholas suggests. Another good one (and free) is FineCount. http://www.tilti.com/new/en/index.php?id=2_finecount&pc_code=&ver=

I´ll see both QuickCount and FineCount.

Katia Perry
Brazil
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to all of you! Mar 14, 2007

Thank you all for sharing your experience with me.

I went to File-Properties... and it worked.
Now I´ll compare with the other softwares suggested, specially after the warning of lexical.

All the best!
Katia

Dan Butuza
Dan Butuza  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 18:12
English to Romanian
You could give this a try... Mar 14, 2007

I did a PP translation a while ago, and, if I remember well, I used this method (taken from some forum or internet, I can't really remember):
Convert the PP into pdf, then save the pdf as rtf and see what's the wordcount. Seems to be the most accurate, if you don't use a counting software.
Hope this helps,
Dan

Lise Kristensen (X)
Lise Kristensen (X)  Identity Verified
English to Danish
+ ...
There is one other way Mar 14, 2007

-if you show the presentation in - I think it is called outline mode -(sorry , I have the Danish one, not sure what it is in the english one).
You can copy/paste the text into word and do an ordinary wordcount - have just checked the result against a counting program and they agree to within 20 words (out of 2500).

Hope this helps

Lise

Melzie
Melzie
French to English
+ ...
sometimes the longest is the quickest Mar 14, 2007

rather than muck around trying to get the count right using the computer, I count the words and jot them down slide by slide as I go along. Unless, of course, the ppt is not being used as it was meant (short, snappy, easy-to-understand presentations) in which case I do a control A to select and copy and paste to word.

Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Agnieszka Hayward (X)
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
PractiCount Mar 14, 2007

I would recommend PractiCount every time. Works fine for me. Counts characters/ words in text boxes, headers, footnotes. Works with .doc, .xls, .rtf, .ppt, .pps, .pdf, to name a few. And is very easy to handle.

HTH,
Regards,
Agnieszka

William [Bill] Gray
William [Bill] Gray  Identity Verified
Norway
Member (2006)
English
+ ...
Agree... Mar 15, 2007

tygru wrote:

I would recommend PractiCount every time. Works fine for me. Counts characters/ words in text boxes, headers, footnotes. Works with .doc, .xls, .rtf, .ppt, .pps, .pdf, to name a few. And is very easy to handle.

HTH,
Regards,
Agnieszka

Personally, I have found PractiCount the most widely reliable counter, and it counts so many different formats.

But I still wonder if ANY of these counters can count "WordArt"? Does anyone know something about that?

Cheers,
Bill

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Power Point: how to count words

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »