https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/70488-mac_os_glossaries_available_somewhere.html

Mac OS glossaries available somewhere?
Thread poster: Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:06
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Apr 12, 2007

Does anyone know, if there are Mac OS glossaries (similar to the Microsoft ones) available anywhere?

Cecilia Falk
Cecilia Falk  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:06
English to Swedish
Mac glossaries Apr 12, 2007

Here ares ome glossaries in DMG format:

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Localization_Tools/Mac_OS_X_Glossaries
(2005)

<
... See more
Here ares ome glossaries in DMG format:

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Localization_Tools/Mac_OS_X_Glossaries
(2005)

ftp://ftp.apple.com/developer/Tool_Chest/Localization_Tools/Apple_Intl_Glossaries/
(1996)

Best regards,
Cecilia

[Edited at 2007-04-12 15:37]

[Edited at 2007-04-12 15:38]
Collapse

Maya Hage
Maya Hage  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:06
English to Arabic
+ ...
failure to open the gloss. Apr 13, 2007

hey! Thanks a lot for the glossaries but I faield to open them. Do I need any specific program to be able to open them???
Thanks...

[Edited at 2007-04-13 07:13]

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:06
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To view the files... Apr 13, 2007

Thank you for the links, Cecilia!

To be able to view the files in Windows you need some programs:

For the DMG file you need a program to convert the .dmg file to an .iso file (I used MacigISO) and a virtual cd/dvd-rom emulator such as Daemon Tools, which you use to open the ISO file. On the virtual disc there is a a tab delimited text file that can be opened with Notepad, MS Excel, OpenOffice or similar.

For the sit.hqx files you need a program called Stuf
... See more
Thank you for the links, Cecilia!

To be able to view the files in Windows you need some programs:

For the DMG file you need a program to convert the .dmg file to an .iso file (I used MacigISO) and a virtual cd/dvd-rom emulator such as Daemon Tools, which you use to open the ISO file. On the virtual disc there is a a tab delimited text file that can be opened with Notepad, MS Excel, OpenOffice or similar.

For the sit.hqx files you need a program called Stuffit Expander (similar to WinZip etc.). Winzip can open the .hqx files but not .sit files. The unzipped .ad files can be opened in Notepad, but I would suggest using MS Word, OpenOffice or an XML viewer, for example.

Hope this helps!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mac OS glossaries available somewhere?

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »