https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/73864-my_prozcom_glossary_has_been_reproduced_without_permission_what_should_i_do.html

My ProZ.com glossary has been reproduced without permission. What should I do?
Thread poster: Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:41
Spanish to English
May 25, 2007

I have discovered whilst looking at a Kudoz question and agreeing with an answer, that my entire Spanish English civil engineering glossary has been lifted by an association in Spain. I have, of course, not been credited and nobody asked for my permission. I am infuriated and would like some advice on what I can do about it.

Thanks very much.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-05-28 19:00]

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
I am no sure but.. May 25, 2007

Unfortunately the only copyright mark appearing on the glossary pages is ProZ's.

Still You should definitely contact them + Proz support, and claim for your intellectual property.

The association managers or legal department should immediately hide the glossary and/or start a negotiation to your satisfaction. Else, AFAIK, they should be an easy job for any good lawyer expert in the matter, and you should be able to get a high compensation - more than enough to pay for
... See more
Unfortunately the only copyright mark appearing on the glossary pages is ProZ's.

Still You should definitely contact them + Proz support, and claim for your intellectual property.

The association managers or legal department should immediately hide the glossary and/or start a negotiation to your satisfaction. Else, AFAIK, they should be an easy job for any good lawyer expert in the matter, and you should be able to get a high compensation - more than enough to pay for legal advice. However, in order to take this avenue, you should probably do it in connection with Henry, as ProZ appears to be holding the copyright for your glossary.

Please keep us informed on the developments.

Nikki Graham wrote:

I have discovered whilst looking at a Kudoz question and agreeing with an answer, that my entire Spanish English civil engineering glossary has been lifted by an association in Spain. I have, of course, not been credited and nobody asked for my permission. I am infuriated and would like some advice on what I can do about it.

Thanks very much.
Collapse

Rosemary Schmid
Rosemary Schmid
Local time: 13:41
English
Ask ProZ May 27, 2007

The Founders of ProZ are splendid people. Ask them what they think. And, what has happened is a SHAME. Was this a "professional" organization? Have you communicated at all with them? Gosh!

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:41
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you both for your replies May 27, 2007

Yes, it is a professional civil engineering association. Whilst being flattered that they might want to reproduce it, I am shocked that they have done so without contacting me.

I will think about what to do when I have some more free time. Meanwhile, it might be nice if this appeared on the home page so that more people could share their views/experiences. I am sure I'm not the only person to be affected by this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My ProZ.com glossary has been reproduced without permission. What should I do?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »