Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Firefox Quicksearches - the translator's best friend (and tool)
Thread poster: Julio Amago
Julio Amago
Julio Amago  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Images in the Forums? Awesome! Jun 9, 2007

Thanks Claudia, I thought you couldn't place images in the Forum. I've been checking out ImageShack and it looks very cool.
Thanx!

J

lingomania
lingomania
Local time: 17:00
Italian to English
Useful Jun 9, 2007

Thank you Julio. I think this will come handy one day. Have a nice Saturday.

Robert.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
Phantastic! Aug 1, 2007

I read this topic when it was published but had still Firefox 1.5.

I have now downloaded the newest version (2.0.6) - there have been some bugs in the previous releases - and the first thing I tried was this search function.

Thank you so much, Julio!

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Better than IntelliWebSearch? Aug 7, 2007

This is a neat feature but I'm not sure it beats IntelliWebSearch (www.intelliwebsearch.com) for power or speed.

Regards,
David

Julio Amago
Julio Amago  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Aug 7, 2007

Thanks for the tip on IntelliWebSearch, David!
It is true that IntelliWebSearch seems faster than my solution, but I still see a few Pros to working with the Firefox Quicksearches option:
- There is no need to install yet another program (this is if you already use Firefox, otherwise you would obviously have to install it)
- By the website it seems that you can predefine up to 10 search engines with IntelliWebSearch, with Firefox Quicksearches you can have as many as you like (
... See more
Thanks for the tip on IntelliWebSearch, David!
It is true that IntelliWebSearch seems faster than my solution, but I still see a few Pros to working with the Firefox Quicksearches option:
- There is no need to install yet another program (this is if you already use Firefox, otherwise you would obviously have to install it)
- By the website it seems that you can predefine up to 10 search engines with IntelliWebSearch, with Firefox Quicksearches you can have as many as you like (you just have to remember the shortcuts you assign to them). This may not be useful to all translation scenarios (if you work with a single language you may use only 4 or 5 search engines regularly, but this number soon gets larger if you translate into/from more languages) but it certainly helps for private use, since you can define searches for your favourite travel site, flight search engines, banking pages, google maps, etc.
Collapse

David Turner
David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Best of both worlds Aug 7, 2007

I agree Julio. The two options can probably be used quite nicely in combination. IWS is a modest little application which only takes a few seconds to install and is freeware.

David

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Firefox Quicksearches - the translator's best friend (and tool)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »