The future of Eurodicautom
Thread poster: Félix Saiz
Félix Saiz
Félix Saiz  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 14, 2003

The European Commission just published an official message about the future of Eurodicautom:

http://europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/response_DG.jsp

\"We have received a series of inquiries concerning Eurodicautom.

Please note that Eurodicautom will soon be integrated into a new interinstitutional terminology database, which will incorporate the
... See more
The European Commission just published an official message about the future of Eurodicautom:

http://europa.eu.int/eurodicautom/response_DG.jsp

\"We have received a series of inquiries concerning Eurodicautom.

Please note that Eurodicautom will soon be integrated into a new interinstitutional terminology database, which will incorporate the contents of the databases already existing in the various institutions and bodies of the European Union.

The aim of this project is to meet the challenge of the forthcoming enlargement, which will extend the problems associated with terminological data to some twenty languages. The result will reflect Europe\'s linguistic diversity and richness.

We will be examining the question of access to the new base keeping in mind the need for sound management of public funds. We will, of course, keep you informed of developments in the project.

Hubert PAESMANS

Head of EC-SdT Terminology Unit\"

I personally don\'t like the last paragraph... I\'ll wait and see, anyway.

Best regards
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:16
Dutch to English
+ ...
Keep us informed? Jan 15, 2003

Quote:

We will be examining the question of access to the new base keeping in mind the need for sound management of public funds. We will, of course, keep you informed of developments in the project.

No, I don\'t like the last paragraph either! Keep us informed? How, exactly! ... See more
Quote:

No, I don\'t like the last paragraph either! Keep us informed? How, exactly! Before or after any event?

The more people who sign the petition the better I think.

The link to sign the petition can be found at:

http://www.fit-ift.org/petition.html

Kind regards to all!

Collapse

Steffen Walter
Steffen Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Well, Marijke,... Jan 15, 2003

...I\'ve dropped a line or two to Hubert Paesmans personally, politely asking for some clarification on what the last paragraph really says. You\'ll get his email address via the Eurodicautom \"Contact us\" page, so feel free to join in insisting on more clarity.

However, in the back of my mind, I am still in doubt whether EU people can ever come up with clear, unambiguous statements (-:

FWIW,

Steffen

Marijke Singer
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Contact details Jan 15, 2003

Thanks Steffan!

Yes, I am one of the people who got a \'personalised\' message from Hubert Paesmans after hitting the Contact Us button on the web site. I hit this button 4 weeks ago and only got a reply on Monday. Even worse than sending a letter to darkest Africa by surface mail, wouldn\'t you say?

You wrote:

However, in the back of my mind, I am still in doubt whether EU people can ever come up with clear, unambiguous statements (-:
... See more
Thanks Steffan!

Yes, I am one of the people who got a \'personalised\' message from Hubert Paesmans after hitting the Contact Us button on the web site. I hit this button 4 weeks ago and only got a reply on Monday. Even worse than sending a letter to darkest Africa by surface mail, wouldn\'t you say?

You wrote:

I couldn\'t agree more. Maybe EU people should visit the Plain English web site more often (http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/)!

Collapse

Rainer Pawellek
Rainer Pawellek  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
How gracious... Jan 15, 2003

\"We will be examining the question of access...\"

Quite condescending, isn\'t it? After all, Eurodicautom has been (and probably will continue to be) financed exclusively by the European taxpayer. For this reason alone, any future access restriction is absolutly unacceptable!

In my view, the translator community (as well as the European public, of course) has a well-deserved right to use EU resources like Eurodicautom without restriction and at no addit
... See more
\"We will be examining the question of access...\"

Quite condescending, isn\'t it? After all, Eurodicautom has been (and probably will continue to be) financed exclusively by the European taxpayer. For this reason alone, any future access restriction is absolutly unacceptable!

In my view, the translator community (as well as the European public, of course) has a well-deserved right to use EU resources like Eurodicautom without restriction and at no additional costs. So why should we act as petitioners to beg and plead for something we have already paid for?

Collapse

Marijke Singer
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
To petition or not to petition Jan 15, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-01-15 10:01, Pawellek wrote:

\"In my view, the translator community (as well as the European public, of course) has a well-deserved right to use EU resources like Eurodicautom without restriction and at no additional costs. So why should we act as petitioners to beg and plead for something we have already paid for?

You are absolutely right Rainer but I think we will h... See more
Quote:

On 2003-01-15 10:01, Pawellek wrote:

\"In my view, the translator community (as well as the European public, of course) has a well-deserved right to use EU resources like Eurodicautom without restriction and at no additional costs. So why should we act as petitioners to beg and plead for something we have already paid for?

You are absolutely right Rainer but I think we will have to do something or it will disappear! ▲ Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 07:16
English
+ ...
Some colleague pointed up the argument that Jan 15, 2003

...it\'s financed out of European taxpayer pockets and therefore the European taxpayers, physical and moral, have a right to access unless of course someone argues it\'s a dual-purpose technology that will help rogue states develop DMDs (dictionaries of mass destruction).

After that laugh, yes, the last paragraph does indeed herald dire news.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The future of Eurodicautom

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »