Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 6, 2007

G'day everyone

I'm an editor at the Open Directory, but I'm not writing on behalf of the Open Directory. I would like to encourage translators to become editors of the Open Directory (ODP) and help expand it, especially for the benefit of fellow-translators.

I've written an article for ProZ.com on getting listed in the ODP, and that might be a good place to start on becoming an editor for the ODP. Basically, editors review submitted sites and decide whether they can be listed in the ODP or not. Editors can add sites themselves, or review sites that were submitted by the public.

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/642/1/Promoting-your-translation-web-site-through-the-Open-Directory--

There are currently quite a few unreviewed sites in the ODP's translation category, and I can't hope to review all of them anytime soon. This means that deserving translators do not get the benefit of ODP listing because of the backlog. There are currently 150 unreviewed sites in Public Speaking, 500 unreviewed sites in Translation, and 300 unreviewed sites in Writing and Editing.

Remember, sites listed at the ODP get a boost in their Google rankings. Also remember that it is "legal" to add your own site to the ODP, so if you have a web site and your language or country's category does not have an editor yet, you may apply and help boost your own site by listing it.

I look forward to your comments.

I know there may be other directories where volunteers help with reviews, where translators can submit their sites. I think translators should help each other by signing up as editors at such sites to help fellow-translators get listed.

Direct link Reply with quote

Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
I am with you Jul 6, 2007

I am in charge of some of the translation part and I have too much for me alone.
Once I got another editor with me but he didn't remain long.

Categories needing editors are especially bilinguals categories. (for instance French another foreign language)

Please also note that there have been trouble with the Open Directory late last year and all applications waiting had been lost - some of the entries being lost for a while but now you can start on a clean waiting list without 2000 years old entries (sometimes sites not existing anymore waiting).

I would not however speak of boost in Google because of the directory.

Please do also enter yourself ONCE and one domain. The most time consuming thing is agencies entering all their mirrors and we have to sort everything out.

[Edited at 2007-07-06 13:44]

[Edited at 2007-07-06 13:50]

Riens Middelhof  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Please explain Jul 6, 2007

I tried to become an editor several months ago, in order to push a website I just made. I didn´t succeed because I had to enter 3 "new" websites in the same category, in order to qualify for editorship.

How can I know 3 websites while I´m not a editor yet???

Yolande Haneder  Identity Verified
German to French
+ ...
3 sites Jul 6, 2007

You have to pick 3 sites that are not yet in the directory.
You don't have to have a list of websites to edit, just ask for a couple of websites of people you know and are not in the directory (there are enough of them).

If you become an editor you will have then have made your 3 first editing tasks because the sites you entered will get into the directory.
As a consequence, you should read the editing guidelines and the informations about which pages should be added and which ones not.

I think it is the biggest difficulty at the beginning - get used to edit under a specific format - the editor who joined me last year didn't cope with the fact that he couldn't edit the way he wanted it to and gave up.

[Edited at 2007-07-06 16:33]

casey
United States
Local time: 19:12
Japanese to English
ODP is run by power freaks Jul 6, 2007

I wasted nearly two years of my life working for those ungrateful losers. Then I moved from the US to Japan to start a new job. I was unable to login for a slightly extended period of time for obvious reasons, but I was not allowed to rejoin even after repeated attempts. No explanation was offered.

For all the time I spent working on that project with no compensation whatsoever, the least any respectable human being could do is give me a reason why I was not accepted back into the "club." The obnoxious answers they provide on the forum are infuriating, to say the least. They're backstabbing vipers, if you ask me. What goes around comes around, though, right?

casey
United States
Japanese to English
Just to clarify... Jul 6, 2007

I'm not talking about you, Samuel. I'm talking about the high ranking editors that decide who gets to rejoin.

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ODP power model Jul 6, 2007

casey wrote:
I'm not talking about you, Samuel. I'm talking about the high ranking editors that decide who gets to rejoin.

Unfortunately the ODP has a very flat power structure in the sense that the power is not in the hands of just a few, but in the hands of a large number of people with certain rights. Even being allowed to join is a matter of luck, because you have no way of knowing whether the guy reviewing your application is a prick. So far I've been very lucky and happy -- most of the senior editors have been extremely helpful, and I suspect the power freaks are a rare few.

It does help to have a thick skin, though.

casey
United States
Japanese to English
Definitely does Jul 7, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:

It does help to have a thick skin, though.

Something which I, unfortunately, do not have. You couldn't pay me to volunteer for them again.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:12
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
No thank you! Jul 8, 2007

I was editor at the ODP for a couple of years back 2001-2003. Those important guys above were constantly interfering and introducing new fancy rules. Most of the time I had just to discard entries, that were out of scope or duplicate or entered to the wrong subject.
Who needs the Open Directory anymore? It was a child of its era, when Internet-portals were in vogue. Google made these superfluous.
Every time someone enters a new site to the ODP it takes ages to get them listed. Google is much faster.

Cheers
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open Directory editors wanted

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search