what language is this?
Thread poster: A Hayes
A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 12:25
Jan 19, 2003

Hoc indus to formi dos wentos agricala firt todis per retyues. Mendor est callan ist dorum quot cet qui cetum hoc indus to formi dos wentos agricala firt todis. Per retyuis mendor est callan ist dorum quor cet quit cetum hoc indus to formi dos.

[could have typos]

does anyone know what language it is? It is from a BHP advert about Underground Operators.

Thanks.

PS Do you think it\'s just nonsense language used to fill up some space?

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-19 06:25]

Direct link Reply with quote

Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 04:25
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Latin-based nonsense Jan 19, 2003

I have also come across such gibberish several times. Manufacturers of certain text-related applications or devices often use such nonsense \"language\" to fill up a space where normally there should be a normal text.

The methodology is rather \"dada\", i.e. picking words at random and placing them one after the other.

A Hayes
Australia
Local time: 12:25
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Csaba! Jan 19, 2003

Regards,

alejandra-

Robert INGLEDEW  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 23:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
FOR A MOMENT I THOUGHT IT WAS DUTCH Jan 19, 2003

Of course, I am not familiar with this language, but I did work in Shell (Exploration) and we had a number of dutch engineers.

However, there are some languages out there that seem to be gibberish, but are in fact languages, for example the Papiamento (Aruba and Curazao, in the Caribbean). These islands were under French, Spanish, Portuguese, English and Dutch dominion, and their national language is somewhat a mixture of all these languages. Just have a look at this page:

http://www.diarioaruba.com/dialuna/noticia/index.html

Probably this does not answer your question, but I am sure you will find it interesting.

Regards.

Robert

Yngve Roennike  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:25
Swedish to English
+ ...
The other Latin nonsensical text? Jan 19, 2003

Perhaps it related to that other Latin nonsense text originated in the Middle Ages that is still used today for testing fonts.

Massimo Lencioni  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
fake latin Jan 19, 2003

\'fake Latin\' is indeed often used as a temporary placeholder awaiting final text, but also in illustrations that should look like text, although the text detail will be to small to distinguish anyway (plus since it is not language specific, it can be used for editions in various languages).

However, I always come across the same \'fake latin\' text:

«Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.»

The variant you quoted here is new to me...

Katja

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:25
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Katja is right... Jan 19, 2003

I can confirm her theory.

Regards,

Giovanni

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's Greek Jan 19, 2003

Greek, all of it.

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
"lorem ipsum" is not a fake latin text Jan 19, 2003

The original was \".. dolorem ipsum ..\" and was a latin text with many errors and some dialect in it, so it could not be understood by normal latin translators.

It was copied since centuries and the errors accumulated, because it was meant to be not understandable.

It should not be understandable because the reader should concentrate on the sample layout and font and not waste his time reading an irrelevant text.

Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2002)
English to Italian
+ ...
And this one...? Jan 19, 2003

BICO

Du fage hijo, kula menipo qurase\'t ivoxu-ya!Zebico dufa geh ìjokul amen.

George Hopkins
Swedish to English
Bad language Jan 20, 2003

It\'s most likely an early form of double Dutch.
[addsig]

Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:25
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
i thought it was munchkin.... Mar 22, 2003

...but i\'m obviously wrong

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what language is this?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search