Difference between SDLX and Workbench
Thread poster: Jana Cole (X)
Jana Cole (X)
Jana Cole (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:14
French to English
Jul 15, 2007

I would like to know what the differences are between Trados SDLX and Trados Workbench.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:14
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Different interface Jul 15, 2007

Jana Cole wrote:

I would like to know what the differences are between Trados SDLX and Trados Workbench.

The main difference is the interface. SDLX has a consistent two-column interface, with one row per segment. Source text is on the left and target text on the right. This interface is the same regardless of whether the source material is a Word document, Excel spreadsheet, HTML file, or any other supported format.

Workbench uses Trados's traditional variety of different interfaces. When working with Word files, for instance, you actually open the document in Word and go through it segment by segment. Trados uses its TagEditor interface for most other kinds of documents.

[Edited at 2007-07-15 14:10]

Jana Cole (X)
Jana Cole (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:14
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
The SDLX consistency is attractive Jul 15, 2007

Thanks for the information. I have used Wordfast, in which you open the document in Word and work through it segment by segment. That works fine, but the column format sounds like it would be much easier to work with. I will probably buy SDLX.

[Edited at 2007-07-15 15:12]

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:14
English to Turkish
+ ...
A good alternative Jul 15, 2007

Jana Cole wrote:

(...) but the column format sounds like it would be much easier to work with. I will probably buy SDLX

You can also try Deja Vu which is a standalone program. In my opinion, SDLX was much more better than Trados, but after SDL bought Trados, SDLX became a secondary tool in the SDL Trados package.

You can translate Trados and SDLX projects with Deja Vu.
http://www.atril.com/docs/DVX/DVX%207.5.pdf

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between SDLX and Workbench

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »