Looking for Ger > Eng Legal / Finance / Political Dictionary
Thread poster: PoveyTrans (X)

PoveyTrans (X)

Local time: 23:53
German to English
Aug 15, 2007

I am looking to purchase one of the larger (and more expensive) legal/commercial Ger > Eng dictionaries. Before I spend the money, I was wondering if anyone has any advice or views, in particular about the June 2005 edition of Dietl/Lorenz and how it compares with other similar publications.

(http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dictionary-Legal-Commercial-Political-German-English/dp/3406480675/ref=sr_1_1/203-0744725-7609511?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1187171481&sr=1-1)

Kim has listed the following dictionaries in a similar question around 18 months back.

Dietl/Lorenz: Dictionary of Legal, Commercial and Political Terms, C:H. Beck
Hamblock/Wessels: Großwörterbuch Wirtschaftsenglisch, Cornelsen
Romain: Dictionary of Legal and Commercial Terms, C.H. Beck
R. Lister/K. Veth: Max Hueber Verlag (very small, but good, especially for criminal law)
Standardvertragsmuster: Dieter Stummel, Verlag C.H. Beck

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-08-16 00:32]

RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:53
German to English
Not so easy.... Aug 15, 2007

The problem is that there is no single dictionary covering legal/finance/business that's worth buying.

Dietl/Lorenz is good on law, but should always be used in conjunction with Romain. Dietl/Lorenz is crap on business and finance.

A new 6th edition of Hamblock/Wessels appeared recently, but to be honest we were pretty disappointed, certainly with the De-En volume. Still miles better than the genuinely egregious Schäfer or Langenscheidt/Routledge offerings (both of which are a criminal waste of trees), but they could have been far more rigorous weeding out the errors in the 5th edition.

My suggestion would be to buy Dietl/Lorenz, Romain and most definitely the Zahn Bank- und Börsenwesen/Banking and Stock Trading dictionary. And Hamblock/Wessels only if you've still got the budget for it.

HTH,
Robin

PoveyTrans (X)

Local time: 23:53
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 15, 2007

[quote]RobinB wrote:

The problem is that there is no single dictionary covering legal/finance/business that's worth buying.

Dietl/Lorenz is good on law, but should always be used in conjunction with Romain. Dietl/Lorenz is crap on business and finance.

A new 6th edition of Hamblock/Wessels appeared recently, but to be honest we were pretty disappointed, certainly with the De-En volume. Still miles better than the genuinely egregious Schäfer or Langenscheidt/Routledge offerings (both of which are a criminal waste of trees), but they could have been far more rigorous weeding out the errors in the 5th edition.

My suggestion would be to buy Dietl/Lorenz, Romain and most definitely the Zahn Bank- und Börsenwesen/Banking and Stock Trading dictionary. And Hamblock/Wessels only if you've still got the budget for it.

HTH,
Robin

Thanks for this Robin. I feared that the 'all-singing-all-dancing' dictionary was more of a pipedream.

Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:53
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
von Beseler... Aug 16, 2007

This site offers a good overview of what’s available in this field (other languages included), plus prices.
http://www.legalenglish.com/books.html

A lawyer-friend of mine swears by Von Beseler/ Jakobs-Wüstefeld: Law Dictionary: Technical Dictionary of the Anglo-American Legal Terminology Including Commercial and Political Terms, German-English.
It's expensive and I don’t own it yet – still waiting for a good deal to come up on Amazon or Ebay.

HTH
johanna

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for Ger > Eng Legal / Finance / Political Dictionary

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search