Thread poster: Jack Doughty

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:43
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2003

Just discovered Foreignword from a posting in another forum, went there and found I could download (for free) software called Xanadu. This puts an icon in the tray which produces a small panel at top left of the screen in which you can enter any word in any language to be translated into any other language. It will call up all the available online dictionaries in that language pair (from which you can choose to use any or all of them) and give you the word you want. Looks like a very useful tool to me.

Obtainable from

http://www.foreignword.biz/

Direct link Reply with quote

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 10:43
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Thank you, Jack! Feb 2, 2003

Subj.
[addsig]

Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
One more useful program- freeware Feb 2, 2003

www.CleverKeys.com

\"CleverKeys is free software that provides instant access to definitions at Dictionary.com, synonyms at Thesaurus.com, and more—from any Windows or Mac OS program, including Microsoft Word and most e-mail programs and browsers. With CleverKeys, the answers are just a click away.\"

I use it for some time now, very convienant; the only drawback is that sometimes the program opens the page just in course of normal typing. Guess some bug with hotkey- also, after yo\'ve installed the program, the hotkey cannot be changed (at least I couldn\'t). But otherwise very useful- just mark the needed word in_ANY_ application, pres Hotkey- and- voila- here you are
[addsig]

Hermann Bruns  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:43
English to German
The new version of KudoZ.NET does it, too! Feb 2, 2003

Hello Jack, hello Uldis,

the new version of KudoZ.NET (1.169) which is available since Friday includes a new feature: You can now search online resources!

Just enter a term, define the language pair, and click the \"Search\" button. In the dialog shown you can select the online resources you want to search, if any are available.

If none are available, or if you miss a good resource, please let me know! I can add new online resources quite quickly.

Hermann

Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
English to Russian
+ ...
CleverKeys are not bad but .... not so clever Feb 2, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-02-02 19:07, uldis wrote:

sometimes the program opens the page just in course of normal typing. Guess some bug with hotkey- also, after yo\'ve installed the program, the hotkey cannot be changed (at least I couldn\'t).

I\'ve got the same problem - opening the page just in course of normal typing. It\'s extremely annoying especially when it happens while filling an online form or something like that. When you come back from the page opened by CleverKeys all you find is just a blank form and you have to start everything from the very beginning.

Uldis, to change hotkeys is very easy: right-click on CleverKeys icon, in the opened dialog window you can enter any characters you like to be your hotkeys and also choose a Default Lookup. After that click \"OK\" to save changes and you\'re ready to continue to take pains with the same unauthorized operations but via brand new hotkeys.

Good luck,

Nikita Kobrin

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-03 18:13]

Latvia
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Cleverkeys hotkeys Feb 4, 2003

[quote]

you\'re ready to continue to take pains with the same unauthorized operations but via brand new hotkeys.

Txnx, Nikita,

I have good news- beta version upgrade can be downloades fro their website, and it seems, it doesn\'t have that bug any more, at least it hadn\'t happened to me once in thee (!!!) days since I installed it.
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Xanadu dictionary software from foreignword

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search