Nikita Kobrin
Nikita Kobrin  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 17:36
Member (2010)
English to Russian
+ ...
Feb 5, 2003

With the globalization of the translation market, it is becoming increasingly complicated to find one\'s way through the jungle of different currencies, language combinations, translation fees and calculation criteria. In some countries, fees are generally based on a word count (rate per word or per 1000 words), in others on the number of characters (per line of 50, 55 or 60 keystrokes, or per standard page of 1500, 1800 or 2000 characters), either including or excluding spaces.

... See more
With the globalization of the translation market, it is becoming increasingly complicated to find one\'s way through the jungle of different currencies, language combinations, translation fees and calculation criteria. In some countries, fees are generally based on a word count (rate per word or per 1000 words), in others on the number of characters (per line of 50, 55 or 60 keystrokes, or per standard page of 1500, 1800 or 2000 characters), either including or excluding spaces.

To make things worse, some agencies/translators base their calculation on the source text, others on the target text: this can result in considerable differences, of up to 20%.

Lastly, there is the problem of different currencies. The exchange rate is now fixed for almost all EU countries, but there are frequent fluctuations between other countries.

This is a complicated situation for translators, who need to know exactly what figure to quote to agencies when they are asked for their rates. It is even more complicated for agencies, who are dealing with two parties (clients and translators). You run the risk of losing money if you don\'t calculate your rates correctly.

FeeWizard is an Excel workbook that solves all these problems: just enter a fee, based on any criterion, and the converter will immediately calculate the equivalent fees for all the other criteria (language, calculation method, currency).

You can download the file here in zipped format. It is absolutely free. The download will be virtually instantaneous, since the file size is only 18 Kb.

When I first downloaded FeeWizard it didn\'t work on my system but Alessandra Muzzi , English/French-into-Italian translator and creator of this tool, helped me to overcome all the problem and now FeeWizard works perfectly.

Regards,

Nikita Kobrin

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-02-05 23:16]
Collapse

Anu Mukharji-Gorski
Anu Mukharji-Gorski  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:36
German to English
+ ...
couple of questions Feb 5, 2003

you wrote:

\"When I first downloaded FeeWizard it didn\'t work on my system but Alessandra Muzzi , English/French-into-Italian translator and creator of this tool, helped me to overcome all the problem and now FeeWizard works perfectly. \"

An introduction as to how to use this tool might be useful. Or even a log of your questions and Alessandra Muzzi\'s answers. For example from where should I pick \"calculation method\" and \"language of re
... See more
you wrote:

\"When I first downloaded FeeWizard it didn\'t work on my system but Alessandra Muzzi , English/French-into-Italian translator and creator of this tool, helped me to overcome all the problem and now FeeWizard works perfectly. \"

An introduction as to how to use this tool might be useful. Or even a log of your questions and Alessandra Muzzi\'s answers. For example from where should I pick \"calculation method\" and \"language of reference\".

I opened this tool in OpenOffice, entered an amount which got converted. But I have no idea how to fill in the other criteria

Would be grateful for a couple of tips,

Regards

Anu
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

FeeWizard - simple, useful and free tool for translators

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »