Can we share a TM i.e.Trados, as a group of community translators?
Thread poster: gradara
gradara
Italy
Local time: 15:18
German to Italian
Sep 7, 2007

As a member of a group of community interpreters and translators my question is: can we buy a SDL Trados license and share it as corporation? We have recently joined together in a network with members from all over Italy. I've just read about a course in Rome, is there maybe a chance to organize a course for any of us who registered in ProZ? And, if yes, whom could we contact?

[Edited at 2007-09-07 11:01]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:18
Member (2007)
German to French
+ ...
Share? Sep 8, 2007

I'm not sure I understood your question: do you want to buy several freelance licenses (group buy) or do you want to buy several server licenses in order to share TMs in real time with other translators?

If you meant the second, I think there is no legal hinderance about it from Trados side, as long as you are willing to buy licenses, they are willing to sell them to you, no matter whether you are acorporation or not.
But you just need to know that these licenses are of course much more expansive than freelance ones and, more importantly, that you need to maintain your own server to use them.
On top of that, it means that the server has to be at the premises of one of you, which means on the one side that the person hosting the server will have some more power over the others (the power to let them use their licenses or not) and on the other side he will have to handle all the possible problems (breakdowns, etc.)

So I don't know how wide is your 'network', but unless is it a very small network of a few people you fully trust, I personally would not go for such a deal (neither as the hosting person, neither as a simple translator) unless you have made an agreement, a legal frame to decide whop is doing what, who is entitled to what etc.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
JeremyLT
Local time: 07:18
English
+ ...
Sharing TMs Sep 10, 2007

If you are looking for a way to share TMs easily and seamlessly among translators, then you may want to look into Lingotek (www.lingotek.com).

It is a free translation tool, and TMs are stored on the Lingotek server, so it is simple to set up on TM Vault that a group of translators can share amongst themselves.

Thanks,

Jeremy Foote
Lingotek


Direct link Reply with quote
 
gradara
Italy
Local time: 15:18
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Sharing TMs Sep 17, 2007

Sophie Dzhygir wrote:

I'm not sure I understood your question: do you want to buy several freelance licenses (group buy) or do you want to buy several server licenses in order to share TMs in real time with other translators?

If you meant the second, I think there is no legal hinderance about it from Trados side, as long as you are willing to buy licenses, they are willing to sell them to you, no matter whether you are acorporation or not.
But you just need to know that these licenses are of course much more expansive than freelance ones and, more importantly, that you need to maintain your own server to use them.
On top of that, it means that the server has to be at the premises of one of you, which means on the one side that the person hosting the server will have some more power over the others (the power to let them use their licenses or not) and on the other side he will have to handle all the possible problems (breakdowns, etc.)

So I don't know how wide is your 'network', but unless is it a very small network of a few people you fully trust, I personally would not go for such a deal (neither as the hosting person, neither as a simple translator) unless you have made an agreement, a legal frame to decide whop is doing what, who is entitled to what etc.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
gradara
Italy
Local time: 15:18
German to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Sharing TMs Sep 17, 2007

JeremyLT wrote:

If you are looking for a way to share TMs easily and seamlessly among translators, then you may want to look into Lingotek (www.lingotek.com).

It is a free translation tool, and TMs are stored on the Lingotek server, so it is simple to set up on TM Vault that a group of translators can share amongst themselves.

Thanks,

Jeremy Foote
Lingotek


Dear Jeremy,
thank you so much for your advice. I had never heard of such a chance of sharing TMs before. As soon as I have a little bit time I'll give a look to Lingotek site to see how it works in practice.
And maybe I'll ask you some other questions, if I can..
Best wishes
Flavi


Direct link Reply with quote
 
JeremyLT
Local time: 07:18
English
+ ...
Lingotek.com Sep 17, 2007

gradara wrote:

Dear Jeremy,
thank you so much for your advice. I had never heard of such a chance of sharing TMs before. As soon as I have a little bit time I'll give a look to Lingotek site to see how it works in practice.
And maybe I'll ask you some other questions, if I can..
Best wishes
Flavi



Flavi,

That sounds great. Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions as you use Lingotek.

Best,
Jeremy


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can we share a TM i.e.Trados, as a group of community translators?

Advanced search







PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search