Has anybody WordFast/Word software problems?
Thread poster: Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek
Hans-Henning Judek  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:32
German to English
+ ...
Dec 17, 2001

On our Powwow in the Chinatown of Yokohama, we discussed CAT systems as well, as one of the participants considered buying TRADOS. No one really liked Trados, but my recommendation to use the free \"WordFast\" also met some skepticism, because it created quite some problems in the Word program of one participant (not yet in mine, though).

Uninstalling it is said to be close to impossible, as it becomes totally integrated into Word and seems to make some changes in the codin
... See more
On our Powwow in the Chinatown of Yokohama, we discussed CAT systems as well, as one of the participants considered buying TRADOS. No one really liked Trados, but my recommendation to use the free \"WordFast\" also met some skepticism, because it created quite some problems in the Word program of one participant (not yet in mine, though).

Uninstalling it is said to be close to impossible, as it becomes totally integrated into Word and seems to make some changes in the coding of Word. So even after uninstalling WordFast, Word did not react as before.

I myself did not have such negative experience yet, but I am a bit reluctant to recommend it now, as I don\'t want to be responsible to software problems of my colleagues.

Please report your experience with WordFast for everybody\'s benefit.
Collapse

SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
SWEDISH-TRANSLATION.com - your Swedish translation partner (X)
Local time: 02:32
Swedish to English
+ ...
Wordfast... Dec 17, 2001

...is a very good program and I use it every time I have translations to do in Word.

Uninstalling is as easy as installing. Just remove the dot-file from C:\\Windows\\Application data\\Microsoft\\Word\\Autostart if you have Word 2000.

Mattias
[addsig]

Nicolette Ri (X)
Nicolette Ri (X)
Local time: 02:32
French to Dutch
+ ...
Wordfast Dec 17, 2001

I think it is a fantastic tool. I had no problems in installing it in Word 2000.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-26 20:27 ]

Dave Simons
Dave Simons
Local time: 01:32
French to English
Wordfast reaches the parts other TM's cannot reach! Dec 18, 2001

Once you\'ve bit the bullet and accepted that translators have to either work with Microsoft products or starve, your very next step should be to acquire Wordfast. And if I were you I should get it quickly \'cause I\'d bet a month\'s pay that Yves Champollion isn\'t going to keep it free forever. I reckon he\'s playing crafty and building up a user base for now.

WF only works for Office97 onwards because apparently the MS scripting language changed between 95 and 97. I use it with Offi
... See more
Once you\'ve bit the bullet and accepted that translators have to either work with Microsoft products or starve, your very next step should be to acquire Wordfast. And if I were you I should get it quickly \'cause I\'d bet a month\'s pay that Yves Champollion isn\'t going to keep it free forever. I reckon he\'s playing crafty and building up a user base for now.

WF only works for Office97 onwards because apparently the MS scripting language changed between 95 and 97. I use it with Office XP and so far I\'ve been able to translate Word, Excel, Access, and Powerpoint with it - ALL IN AN MS WORD WINDOW. It\'s neat - you type your text in Word with WF running, and every time you move on to the next segment, the corresponding text in the target application (Excel or whatever) changes. I\'ve also used the WF accessory \"PlusTools\" to tag HTML documents with some success. There are however some documents that WF finds difficult to manage, especially those full of mark-up, bookmarks, etc., but on the whole I can say I\'m delighted with it. I\'ve tried the test versions of SDLX, Déjà-vu, and Trans Suite (Cypresoft) and honestly find WF easier to use than any of these. Given WF\'s unbeatable price :^) I\'d be a fool to change.

As fot compatibility, I have several agencies among my clients, one of whom sometimes sends me documents that have already been tagged by Trados (don\'t ask why: it doesn\'t make a lot of sense), and they want an \"uncleaned\" Trados text back. I can use these documents directly in Wordfast. Just as a compatibility test, I sent the first such document back without saying anything, and the agency never noticed a thing. What I\'m saying is that it\'s not just the TM that\'s compatible with Trados but the WHOLE DAMNED DOCUMENT - you can start a translation with one tool and finish with the other.

As far as any software-specific problems are concerened, WF does have a mailing list, though I\'ve never tried it because I hate mailing lists cluttering up my inbox.

Hope all this helps

Dave

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Has anybody WordFast/Word software problems?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »