Most CAT tools seem to be overkill for what I want to do. Advice?
Thread poster: xxxWayne Sutton
xxxWayne Sutton
Local time: 08:03
French to English
Feb 6, 2003

This has probably appeared in the past but being new to the site I would appreciate opinions.

Most of my translation work is so called \"technico-commercial\" with just a few thousand words each time. I manage terminology with Dico Maker for the moment and use MultiCorpora double view to make life a little easier.

However from time to time I have long commercial contracts or straight technical stuff to translate and it would seem that a CAT type application would be useful, if only to speed up consistency checks and to be able to import term bases from agencies. I have downloaded a few trials of tools available on the market but most of them seem to be overkill for what I want to do.

Any suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
SDLX Feb 6, 2003

http://www.sdlintl.com/products/products-support/products-support-documentation.htm

xxxMarc P  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Try OmegaT Feb 6, 2003

Apart from its other benefits, it\'s free.

Details at

www.marcprior.de/OmegaT/OmegaT.html

Marc

Matthew Kinnersly  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:03
Japanese to English
How about Wordfast? Feb 17, 2003

I\'m trying out Wordfast now and it seems to be quite powerful without being overweight. It\'s kind of \"under development\" and could do with some polishing, but it works. It\'s compatible with the big guys like Trados. If your jobs are small, it\'s also free. If you want larger TMs it costs $150 for registration. I chose it mainly because it works within Word. It\'s just a template that you add in. No other external application, and the download is about 500kb.

You can get it from www.champollion.net.

Matt

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Most CAT tools seem to be overkill for what I want to do. Advice?

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search