German (English) Technical Dictionaries
Thread poster: Kay Fisher
Kay Fisher
German to English
+ ...
Feb 10, 2003

OK I did a quick search of the forums and couldn\'t find this topic, so here is the question. I\'m thinking of investing in a technical dictionary (German to English) or maybe two. I already have a Langenscheidts dictionary of chemistry and two materials science dictionaries but could do with a good general technical dictionary. Can anyone give me any recommendations? I\'ve seen that a lot of people in my language combination use Ernst, but is this the best one?

TIA

Kay

Direct link Reply with quote

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:34
German to English
There are a few possibilities Feb 10, 2003

I\'m waiting for the new Ernst (the German>Eng version has been due for a while; the CD-ROM relies on the older version for this direction, although ENG>GER is more current), so I\'ve been relying on Kucera, \"WB der exakten Naturwissenschaften und der Technik\" 2002, ISBN 3-87097-150-9. The old Walther has been updated, but I haven\'t used it much (and a customer has it at the moment, so I can\'t give you the exact details). The Krupp/Langenscheidt \"FachWB Maschinen- und Anlagenbau\" 1999, ISBN 3-86117-138-4 has been useful in a variety of contexts. The Bezner/Siemens \"FachWB industrielle Ellektrotechnik, Energie-und Automatisierungstechnik\" has been amazingly useful for all sorts of computer/electronics/robotics applications, 1998, ISBN 3-89578-077-4. There\'s a new edition on the horizon.

HTH, Kevin

Kay Fisher
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 10, 2003

Thanks, Kevin. Gives me a good starting point!

Kay

Kay Fisher
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Feb 10, 2003

Thanks, Kevin. Gives me a good starting point!

Kay

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German (English) Technical Dictionaries

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search