Are there any translator websites that provide blacklists of non-paying agencies?
Thread poster: Simon Geoghegan

Simon Geoghegan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:24
Member (2005)
Russian to English
Feb 12, 2003

Forgive me if this question has been posed before.

But I\'m about to accept a very large job from a translation agency who contacted me out of the blue. I have no problem with this but I do want to check their credentials.

I\'ve checked their website and I\'ve checked them on the proz.com blueboard.



I seem to remember seeing on this forum some information concerning other websites who provide blacklists of non-paying agencies. Does anyone have these websites to hand?



Does anyone have any tips on ensuring that agencies will pay for your work before you start translating a project for them?









Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:24
SITE FOUNDER
Check the Blue Board Feb 12, 2003

The Blue Board is not a blacklist. But you may be able to find how other people have expressed their likelihood of working again with your agency:



http://www.proz.com/blueboard/


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Egmont
Spain
Local time: 10:24
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
Ask payment in advance Feb 12, 2003

That is the best test...
[addsig]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Simon Geoghegan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:24
Member (2005)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
I tried the Blue board but no-one had posted any comments. Feb 12, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-02-12 18:02, Henry wrote:

The Blue Board is not a blacklist. But you may be able to find how other people have expressed their likelihood of working again with your agency:



Thanks for the tip Henry. I checked out the Blue Board and indeed, the agency was on it. Unfortunately no-one had posted any comments on this agency.



If an agency is registered on the Blue Board does this generally mean that they are more trustworthy?


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Cristina Marullo Reetdz  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:24
English to Italian
+ ...
Ask to be payed in advance Feb 12, 2003

Personally I think this is the best way to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Have a nice day

Cristina


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 04:24
SITE FOUNDER
Other resources Feb 12, 2003

Quote:


On 2003-02-12 18:14, Simon1 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Henry. I checked out the Blue Board and indeed, the agency was on it. Unfortunately no-one had posted any comments on this agency.



If an agency is registered on the Blue Board does this generally mean that they are more trustworthy?





No, you can not conclude anything from that. You might consider trying either the Payment Practices list ( free, http://www.topica.com/lists/transpayment/ ) or TCR ( $12/yr, http://www.tcrlist.com ).

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:24
Dutch to English
+ ...
Payment Practices Feb 12, 2003

You can also make an inquiry through the Payment Practices list:

http://www.trwenterprises.com/pp_inquiry.htm



You\'ll have to subscribe first though (it is free).


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Simon Geoghegan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:24
Member (2005)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tips. Feb 12, 2003

[quote]

On 2003-02-12 18:30, Henry wrote:

Quote:


On 2003-02-12 18:14, Simon1 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Henry. I checked out the Blue Board and indeed, the agency was on it. Unfortunately no-one had posted any comments on this agency.



If an agency is registered on the Blue Board does this generally mean that they are more trustworthy?





No, you can not conclude anything from that. You might consider trying either the Payment Practices list ( free,

Direct link Reply with quote
 

smoralestrad
Local time: 10:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Transpayment Feb 13, 2003

Transpayment is a very active forum where to find other translator\'s experiences regarding the reliability of some agencies.

You can find it in www.smartgroups.com.



Hope it helps.

Susana


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Edith Rommelfangen  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:24
German to English
+ ...
List of payment practice Feb 13, 2003

Quote:


On 2003-02-12 17:56, Simon1 wrote:

Forgive me if this question has been posed before.

But I\'m about to accept a very large job from a translation agency who contacted me out of the blue. I have no problem with this but I do want to check their credentials.

I\'ve checked their website and I\'ve checked them on the proz.com blueboard.



I seem to remember seeing on this forum some information concerning other websites who provide blacklists of non-paying agencies. Does anyone have these websites to hand?



Does anyone have any tips on ensuring that agencies will pay for your work before you start translating a project for them?













Dear Simon,

one very good list is payment practice (worldwide) in yahoo newsgroups. Another, which I am also member in, is Zahlungspraxis for Germany, Swiss, Austria and countries of the EC. If you give me the name of the agency, I will place a request for information and return the feedback to you.



best regards

Edith Rommelfangen
[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote
 

Simon Geoghegan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:24
Member (2005)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Many thanks for your kind offer. Feb 14, 2003








[/quote]



Dear Simon,

one very good list is payment practice (worldwide) in yahoo newsgroups. Another, which I am also member in, is Zahlungspraxis for Germany, Swiss, Austria and countries of the EC. If you give me the name of the agency, I will place a request for information and return the feedback to you.



best regards

Edith Rommelfangen



[/quote]



Edith,

Many thanks for your kind offer. Unfortunately the agency in question is from a country outside the E.U.

I will certainly check out the other suggestion you made.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Simon Geoghegan  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:24
Member (2005)
Russian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you everyone for your tips and help. Feb 14, 2003

Thank you all for your tips and help.



A big thank you especially to Edith for your kind offer to check out E.U. agencies. Unfortunately the agency that I am dealing with is from outside the E.U. But thanks for the offer all the same!



I hope with all this information, which you\'ve given that I shoud have a fairly accurate picture of this agency\'s trustworthiness.

All the best,

Simon Geoghegan


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are there any translator websites that provide blacklists of non-paying agencies?

Advanced search







memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search