ProZwiki -- first invitation to help out!
Thread poster: Samuel Murray

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Oct 6, 2007

G'day everyone

Are you frustrated when people ask the same questions in the forums over and over? Don't you wish there was some place where the answers to such questions can be collected? Well, there is... and it is called the ProZwiki.

The design of the ProZwiki is just about complete, it is ready to be filled with useful articles written by... you! If you'd like to contribute to a mini-encyclopedia for the translation industry, just let me know (contact me via my profile page), and we'll give you access.

At the moment we're looking for volunteers to help create content. It is easy! As soon as a good number of articles have been written, the ProZwiki will be announced to the public, and by that time any ProZ.com member will be able to edit it.

I look forward to your responses!

Samuel (ProZwiki project leader)

Direct link Reply with quote

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brief introduction to the ProZwiki Oct 6, 2007

Hello everyone

Here is an extract of our introductory document, to give you a little more background information about the ProZwiki project.

== ProZwiki ==

A compendium of knowledge for translators, created by translators

The ProZwiki is a mini-encyclopedia for the translation industry. It is an ever-evolving collection of articles about relevant, industry related topics, written by translators themselves. Any member of ProZ.com can add to it, make corrections to it, and continuously shape it to make it more useful for everyone.

As the name implies, the ProZwiki is a wiki web site. A wiki is a web site produced by a community of people who continuously edit, update, add and improve the knowledge on the web site. The ProZwiki is a collaborative effort, and everyone is welcome to contribute to it freely.

Current status

The underlying architecture of the ProZwiki is now mostly in place, and we are ready to accept contributions from large numbers of ProZ.com members. A wiki is a community, and as such it is difficult to determine matters of policy beforehand, but the moderators of the ProZwiki have a fair idea of how they would like the wiki to work.

Up to this point, we have done the following:

* Decided the broad outline of the ProZwiki project
* Discussed policies related to editing
* Determined editing and viewing permissions
* Designed the underlying architecture (thanks, Ricardo!)
* Created preliminary categories
* Written a few test articles

The next few steps will be:

* Invite interested ProZ.com members to write the initial content
* When there is sufficient starting content, open access to all ProZ.com members

Introduction

The ProZwiki aims to answer in several overlapping needs :

* A knowledge base that can be edited
* A FAQ where frequent askers can be pointed to
* A reference where answers to question can be quoted from
* A place where useful forum posts can be stored more permanently
* A place where useful information is accessible for longer
* A guide for new translators

Eventually it is hoped that the ProZwiki will grow to include encyclopedic information related to the translation industry.

How can we help the ProZwiki grow?

Initially, the ProZwiki will be empty. Everyone should help to make it grow, by adding useful content. It is not necessary to write long articles, or to wait until a page is complete before posting it, because anyone can add to it at any time. It is even acceptable to write very small articles containing just one or two paragraphs, if the information is useful.

Stubs and drafts

In a wiki, small articles are called "stubs". These pages often contain just the skeleton of what might later become a full article. If you are good at collecting information, but you don't like to write, then creating stubs on various topics may be something you can do for the ProZwiki.

When an article is no longer a stub, but it is still in a rough state, it is called a "draft". Draft pages often just need a little refining, or may contain whole sections that are not yet written. If you enjoy writing introductions to topics, but you don't have time to research an entire item comprehensively, then writing draft pages may be something you can do for the ProZwiki.

Summarising forum threads

We should all be on the constant look-out for threads in the ProZ.com forums about interesting, useful topics. After a thread has generated a number of replies (say, ten), the answers can be summarised, and posted on the ProZwiki as a stub article.

Frequently asked questions

Every now and then someone asks a question in the forums which had been asked (and answered) many times before. When you see such a question, try to write something small that can be turned into a draft article for the ProZwiki. Do forum searches to see if there have been good answers to that question, or write your own answer (if you know the answer).

Writing for categories

Anyone who are eager to write a number of pages on related topics, are welcome to do so. Simply pick a topic, create a category on ProZwiki for it, and research old forum posts or the world wide web for answers. Then write stubs, drafts and comprehensive articles about things in that category.

Adding from article bases on the web

There are many web sites that offer users the opportunity to write articles for them, to be added to a large collection of translation related articles. These articles are copyrighted and may not be added to ProZwiki as-is, but nothing stops anyone from approaching the individual authors for permission to add their articles (or derived versions of it) to the ProZwiki. Just remember that ProZwiki content belongs to everyone, and anyone can edit it.

One can also get some good ideas for ProZwiki articles by looking at pages submitted to those other article sites.

Licence and copyright

Please respect copyright. Don't just copy stuff from other web sites. When asking permission to use other people's content, remember to remind them that by adding their work to ProZwiki, they are releasing control over the article, because any member of ProZ.com can edit it, change it, update it, and improve it.

The content of the ProZwiki is licensed as Creative Commons BY-NC. In other words, the content may be published elsewhere as long as it is not sold and as long as ProZ.com and the ProZwiki is mentioned as the source. In addition, ProZ.com is the copyright holder of the ProZwiki.

Any content from the ProZ.com forums may be used (even whole paragraphs copied) when writing content for the ProZwiki, but if you want to add stuff from the current Knowledge Base articles, you have to ask permission from their individual authors.

[Edited at 2007-10-06 17:31]

Alan R King
Basque to English
+ ...
Count me in Oct 6, 2007

Samuel Murray wrote:
If you'd like to contribute to a mini-encyclopedia for the translation industry, just let me know (contact me via my profile page), and we'll give you access.

If you give me access to edit, I will help out if I have time. (Sorry, I failed to find a way contact you via your profile page.)

Alan

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To contact... Oct 6, 2007

Alan R King wrote:
(Sorry, I failed to find a way contact you via your profile page.)

To the right of my picture is my name, and to the right of my name is a section called "Contact:" with several icons. The envelope icon is for sending me an e-mail.

Tina Colquhoun  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:14
Danish to English
+ ...
Proofreading/editing Oct 6, 2007

I hope you plan to include proofreading/editing of all this - so that the linguistic disaster of the Proz articles section isn't repeated...

Tina

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Quality control on the ProZwiki Oct 6, 2007

Tina Colquhoun wrote:
I hope you plan to include proofreading/editing of all this - so that the linguistic disaster of the Proz articles section isn't repeated...

There will be *less* top-down control over the quality of ProZwiki articles, but... any editor of the ProZwiki can edit any article and improve it at any time.

This is, after all, how most wikis work. Articles are written by anyone, and they are improved by anyone. In the ProZwiki, editing will be limited to registered ProZ.com users with a certain minimum content on their profile pages. This means that virually any ProZian can help to improve the ProZwiki.

The ProZwiki is currently in a non-public phase. Before we go public with the ProZwiki, we'd like to add a sizeable number of articles and make them reasonably complete, so that the ProZwiki will create "the right impression" when it finally goes public.

Why not join as a volunteer to help write and improve articles? There is no minimum commitment.

xxxCMJ_Trans
French to English
+ ...
just a second..... Oct 6, 2007

QUOTE "In addition, ProZ.com is the copyright holder of the ProZwiki."

So, if I have understood properly, ProZians do all the legwork and the site gets the copyright? Indeed, why have a dog and bark yourself ?

Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
All the legwork, and ProZwiki licence Oct 6, 2007

CMJ_Trans wrote:
In addition, ProZ.com is the copyright holder of the ProZwiki.
So, if I have understood properly, ProZians do all the legwork and the site gets the copyright?

Unless I'm mistaken, ProZ.com is the copyright holder of all that you see here. So, the fact that ProZ.com is mentioned as the copyright holder of ProZwiki, is a legal technicality.

It shouldn't really matter to ProZwiki editors, and here's why: All content on the ProZwiki is licensed as Creative Commons BY-NC.

This means that, regardless of who the copyright holder is, anyone is free to use any of the ProZwiki content anywhere on the web or in print, as long as the licence is adhered to.

You can read more about this licence here:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/

If you believe this is unfair, then I invite you to propose a different solution which will (a) retain ProZ.com's normal rights and (b) make the ProZwiki free (copyleft, libre).

Heike Behl, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:14
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
navigation/search Oct 6, 2007

Hi Samual,

Could you please tell us a bit more about the structure, navigation and search concepts?

What would make it easier to find relevant information than the forum posts, for instance?

Thanks!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ProZwiki -- first invitation to help out!

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search