Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:12
German to Italian
+ ...
Dec 20, 2001

Hallo everybody,

I have been requested to learn how to use the RoboHelp program, in order to translate a Help file. I had never herd of it, up till now. Is anybody there who has used it and can give me his opinion/comments?

Thanks a lot

Gilda

BernieM
BernieM
Canada
Local time: 19:12
French to English
+ ...
A bit of info on Robohelp Dec 20, 2001

Robohelp is a Windows compatible software that can be used to develop Help files for a windows based application. For example, the Help screens that you see in Word are based on this software.

It can be used by non-technical people (i.e. you do not need to understand programming, but you do need a reasonable level of competence in Windows applications) to develop Help screens for Windows applications, which themselves may have been developed by technical experts. For examp
... See more
Robohelp is a Windows compatible software that can be used to develop Help files for a windows based application. For example, the Help screens that you see in Word are based on this software.

It can be used by non-technical people (i.e. you do not need to understand programming, but you do need a reasonable level of competence in Windows applications) to develop Help screens for Windows applications, which themselves may have been developed by technical experts. For example, in HSBC, our technical department (programmers) had developed a very complicated Windows based management information system. The user support team (mainly accountants) then used Robohelp to develop the Help screens for this application.

Depending upon the volume of the Help messages that they want you to translate, it may not necessarily be worth your while to learn how to use Robohelp itself as a development tool. For example, if they have already developed the Help screens in the source language, they may be able to provide you with printouts of the Help text or with the necessary files in the user format (just as you would see them in Word for example) and you do your translation from there. It sounds though as if your client wants you not only to provide the translations, but to also build these into the appropriate Robohelp format files. If this is so, this is obviously far beyond what you would normally expect to do as a translator.

I would just like to stress that Robohelp has absolutely nothing to do with translating itself.

Let me know if you need any further info and I will see what I can dig out of my memory banks!!
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Robohelp Dec 20, 2001

Robo help is in my opinion a very powerful easy to use help system.

If you want to test it you can get a free demo with limited run time.

From your client, you should get the whole project with all graphics in the correct file order. You need an information about the text editing system (WinWord or HTML).

We have some experience with WinWord and Robohelp:

In this case you should try to compile the source version. Therefore
... See more
Robo help is in my opinion a very powerful easy to use help system.

If you want to test it you can get a free demo with limited run time.

From your client, you should get the whole project with all graphics in the correct file order. You need an information about the text editing system (WinWord or HTML).

We have some experience with WinWord and Robohelp:

In this case you should try to compile the source version. Therefore you have to make some changes in some properties for the file locations. If there are no erreors, you can start the translation.

You have to translate the winword files and the *.cnt file. If you use trados, there is some help in the manuals for details in working with rtf-online structered help files.

Please be careful with the foot notes, placeholders for graphics and all hidden text

I hope this helps you.
Collapse

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Dec 20, 2001

These were all very useful information - exactly what I needed, thank you very much to all of you. Now at least I can discuss the thing better with the customer!

All the best

Gilda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

RoboHelp

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »