Özgür Salman
Özgür Salman  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:35
English to Turkish
+ ...

Nov 2, 2007

Hi!

I'm looking for a software for entering timestamps during a video play.

I work on MS Word files, and I just need to add timestamps at certain times. (Only the bold parts as in the below text) Such as:

NARRATOR: ......... ......... ........... ....................

DAV
... See more
Hi!

I'm looking for a software for entering timestamps during a video play.

I work on MS Word files, and I just need to add timestamps at certain times. (Only the bold parts as in the below text) Such as:

NARRATOR: ......... ......... ........... ....................

DAVE: ........... ........... ........... ...................

01:28:05
TANYA: .......... ............... ............ ........... ........

The software should add the timestamp to where the mouse cursor is at the moment, or just at the beginning of the line (by means of a hotkey or something). I don't need any "time in - time out"s or anything like that, so any simple program could have handled it. However, I couldn't manage to find any suitable software.

The only one I've found is this:
http://www.startstop.com/powerplay.asp

...which is $175

Do any of you guys know any other software for this?

Thanks in advance...

[Edited at 2007-11-03 00:07]

[Edited at 2007-11-03 11:27]

[Edited at 2007-11-03 11:32]
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never mind Nov 3, 2007

I was going to suggest Audacity, but it is for audio, not video.

[Edited at 2007-11-03 18:50]

Özgür Salman
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 3, 2007

Thanks, I'm going to check it out, anyway.

Maybe I can think of extracting the sound file and working on it, which doesnt look very practical though. I wish there could be software to do this with video files...

Wolfgang Jörissen
Wolfgang Jörissen  Identity Verified
Belize
Dutch to German
+ ...
Subtitle Workshop? Nov 4, 2007

Although not orignally made for this purpose, this eventually could fit your need. The only thing is that you cannot use it in Word and if the Word file is formatted in some way, this will be lost.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 15:35
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
One possible hack Nov 5, 2007

Cryogenix wrote:
I work on MS Word files, and I just need to add timestamps at certain times.

The software should add the timestamp to where the mouse cursor is at the moment, or just at the beginning of the line (by means of a hotkey or something).

I don't know of such software, but here's a thought: many text editors and word processors include the ability to insert the current time/date. So, why not change your computer's clock temporarily, and then use a combination of your mouse (to put the cursor in the right place) and the appropriate keyboard shortcut. If the function inserts the date as well, you can simply remove all the dates afterwards using find/replace (presumably they'll all be on the same day).

The only problem with a system like this is that you can't stop and start so easily (every time you stop, you have to set the computer's time again).

Özgür Salman
Türkiye
English to Turkish
+ ...

TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 7, 2007

Thanks for all the answers. Looks like I'm gonna have to buy that software, or keep on searching.

Cheers

[Edited at 2007-11-07 22:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time-stamping software

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »