Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:13
English to Dutch
+ ...
Nov 19, 2007

Hello,

I'm currently working on the translation of some manuals for medical equipment. Much of the text is relatively simple (I have experience in this field) and I'm working at good speed.

However, part of this project is highly technical and has a lot of very specific technical terms, all with regard to CT scanning and X-ray techniques and the underlying theory. I do succeed in finding most of them eventually, but the searching and Googling is taking me a lot of time,
... See more
Hello,

I'm currently working on the translation of some manuals for medical equipment. Much of the text is relatively simple (I have experience in this field) and I'm working at good speed.

However, part of this project is highly technical and has a lot of very specific technical terms, all with regard to CT scanning and X-ray techniques and the underlying theory. I do succeed in finding most of them eventually, but the searching and Googling is taking me a lot of time, and I'm not always 100% certain of what I find.

Does anyone happen to have a glossary for this field or know of a (preferably Dutch) website where these terms and techniques are explained and listed? I'm translating from English into Dutch.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Margreet
Collapse

Adi Al-Ka'bi
Adi Al-Ka'bi
Local time: 09:13
Arabic to English
+ ...
Extensive sources may be found at Philips and Siemens Dec 8, 2007

Having been trained at both Philips (in Eindhoven, Holland) and Siemens (in Erlangen, Deutshland) back in the seventies, I know that they both had extensive literature on all their products (including Medical Equipment, CT scanners and X-Ray machines) in many languages in addition to their national languages (the native languages of the companies). You can go to their websites and choose the languages that you seek and hopefully pick up all or most of the terms that you are seeking. Otherwise yo... See more
Having been trained at both Philips (in Eindhoven, Holland) and Siemens (in Erlangen, Deutshland) back in the seventies, I know that they both had extensive literature on all their products (including Medical Equipment, CT scanners and X-Ray machines) in many languages in addition to their national languages (the native languages of the companies). You can go to their websites and choose the languages that you seek and hopefully pick up all or most of the terms that you are seeking. Otherwise you can alternatively search for the terms that you seek along with entering the name/s of these companies and come up with articles etc in both German and Dutch. To exclude irrelevant articles/pages (such as single language articles), make sure that you type one of the two company names when searching from a general search engine.

This is Siemens Dutch site:
http://www.siemens.nl/medical_solutions//default.asp

This is Siemens German site:
http://www.medical.siemens.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay~q_catalogId~e_-3~a_langId~e_-3~a_storeId~e_10001.htm

The following is the English Siemens search page:
http://w1.siemens.com/apps/search/en/index.php

You can change it to German. On the link before the latter you can change languages (to choose Dutch).

There are search boxes on most of the pages of the sites.

There may be no comprehensive glossary that you seek, but searching for individual terms may come up with what you require.

Try the same for Philips.

There are search boxes on most of the pages of the sites.

Try the same for Philips.
Collapse

Margreet Logmans (X)
Margreet Logmans (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:13
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! Dec 8, 2007

Thank you very much, this is very useful to me!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Glossary needed- En-Du, CT & X-ray technical terms

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »