Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 3, 2003

Hi there,

I\'ve recently used Foreign Desk in a localization project and I\'d like to share my feedback with you. This is a great little CAT software, as far as I could judge.

The propagation and search functions are excellent, the interface is pretty intuitive and the translation process was much more smoother than with Trados.

I\'ve heard that this tool was partially developed by Lionbridge and that somewhere along the process it b
... See more
Hi there,

I\'ve recently used Foreign Desk in a localization project and I\'d like to share my feedback with you. This is a great little CAT software, as far as I could judge.

The propagation and search functions are excellent, the interface is pretty intuitive and the translation process was much more smoother than with Trados.

I\'ve heard that this tool was partially developed by Lionbridge and that somewhere along the process it became open-source.

You can check it out at

http://sourceforge.net/projects/foreigndesk

Cheers

ME
Collapse

Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc (X)
Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
ForeignDesk's just great, But Mar 3, 2003

... Maria, were you yourself able to prepare (set up) the files as a project, or was this done for you by someone else (maybe the nice people at Lionbridge?).

I had already visited the opensource site and I still don\'t have it clear whether those \"downloads\" are for programmers to further develop the \"free\" version, or whether (some or one of) those versions are 100% operative for translators, allowing them to setup their own projects.

... See more
... Maria, were you yourself able to prepare (set up) the files as a project, or was this done for you by someone else (maybe the nice people at Lionbridge?).

I had already visited the opensource site and I still don\'t have it clear whether those \"downloads\" are for programmers to further develop the \"free\" version, or whether (some or one of) those versions are 100% operative for translators, allowing them to setup their own projects.

Thanks in advance,

-daniel

Collapse

Maria Eugenia Farre
Maria Eugenia Farre  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:05
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
File preparation in ForeignDesk Mar 3, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-03 17:12, dalcaine wrote:

I had already visited the opensource site and I still don\'t have it clear whether those \"downloads\" are for programmers to further develop the \"free\" version, or whether (some or one of) those versions are... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-03 17:12, dalcaine wrote:

Thanks in advance,

-daniel

Hi Daniel,

I used version 5.7.1, the stable version available from the sourceforge address, and it worked fine, at least from the translator standpoint. However, as you pointed out, I didn\'t engage in the file preparation, because I received the translation environment from the agency, which in this case, was not Lionbridge.

So should I take from what you\'re saying that file preparation is a devilish proposition in ForeignDesk?

Cheers,

ME

Collapse

Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc (X)
Daniel Alcaine-Rich, M.V., BSc (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Re: file preparation Mar 5, 2003

Hi again Maria:

No, I\'m not saying file preparation would or will be a devilish task.

I mean I simply don\'t know!

Years ago, I asked the people at Lionbridge \"Why don\'t you make a freelance edition of ForeignDesk that fully allows translators to setup files? ForeignDesk is simply great!! If only you\'d take that step forward, it could easily become the best solution available!!\"

Well, the perso
... See more
Hi again Maria:

No, I\'m not saying file preparation would or will be a devilish task.

I mean I simply don\'t know!

Years ago, I asked the people at Lionbridge \"Why don\'t you make a freelance edition of ForeignDesk that fully allows translators to setup files? ForeignDesk is simply great!! If only you\'d take that step forward, it could easily become the best solution available!!\"

Well, the person I asked this question to simply didn\'t know why not.

In any case, the question remains: how do I prepare files (e.g., HTML, FrameMaker, Quark, RC... even simple plain DOCs or RTFs)?

And I haven\'t found details as to this anywhere!!

... In fact, my attention was immediately caught by your posting because, on reading the title on the ProZ main page, I thought the answer could finally, finally be here...

Kind regards

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Open source CAT tool from Lionbridge - ForeignDesk

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »