Legal dictionnary French/English (not very good)
Thread poster: xxxcvaudry
xxxcvaudry
French to English
Mar 4, 2003

I\'ve just sent back Dahl\'s Law Dictionnary to amazon.fr for a refund....Its the new version, costs around 50 Euro.

I can\'t recommend it, its written by an American with loads of diplomas but, as far as I can see, nothing particularly French. I didn\'t agree with the entry for more than a few of the translations given for particular words, which seemed a bit simplistic. For example, for \"police judiciare\" was the entry \"judicial police\"!!! (Do \"judicial police\" exist in the US?!! From my Scottish/UK lawyer standpoint, seems a bit translated \"word for word\"). In the 3 minutes it took for me to decide to send the book back, I also saw a typing error.

It might be useful to understand the legal concepts, but as a translation tool, I wouldn\'t recommend it.

Sorry Mr Dahl!!

Direct link Reply with quote

Holger Gremminger
Local time: 09:21
German to Swedish
+ ...
Rating Mar 6, 2003

Did you give it a negative rating in the Amazon-system? This could help other searching persons to avoid it.

/Holger

Dylan Edwards  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:21
Greek to English
+ ...
Council of Europe Dictionary sets the standard Mar 10, 2003

That certainly sounds a disappointing dictionary. I don\'t do a great deal of translation from French these days, but over the years I have translated court judgments and other legal documents from French, so I have some idea of what I\'m looking for in dictionaries. You probably know F.H.S. Bridge\'s \"The Council of Europe French-English Dictionary\" (1994, reprinted 1996). I bought it in 1999 (or 2000?) when faced with a particularly challenging job, when I definitely needed to go one step beyond good old Harrap.

As a basis for comparison, I looked up \"police judiciaire\" in this dictionary, and found not just a translation, but also a good, succinct explanation. So the Council of Europe dictionary remains a sort of yardstick for me.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Legal dictionnary French/English (not very good)

Advanced search

LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search