Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Dec 12, 2007

I wonder if someone has already programmed such a macro. There would be a file with a two-column table and a Word-document. The marco would pick the first string of column A, search for the string in the Word-document and replace all occurences by the string of column B. Then it would pick the second string of column A, search and replace by the second string in column B etc.
This would come in handy it you first have translated a manual with software strings, and later you seperately tran
... See more
I wonder if someone has already programmed such a macro. There would be a file with a two-column table and a Word-document. The marco would pick the first string of column A, search for the string in the Word-document and replace all occurences by the string of column B. Then it would pick the second string of column A, search and replace by the second string in column B etc.
This would come in handy it you first have translated a manual with software strings, and later you seperately translate the software strings in form of a table. The macro would update the earlier translated manual.
But such a macro could be used for a lot of other purposes, I would guess.

Regards
Heinrich
Collapse

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:18
English to Chinese
+ ...
VBA Dec 12, 2007

I don't have such a Macro. But it sounds not very complicated. I'm learning Python and right now I can only deal with plain text files. I'll try to write a python script for this later. VBA is not very difficult to learn. Here's some tutorials(try it... See more
I don't have such a Macro. But it sounds not very complicated. I'm learning Python and right now I can only deal with plain text files. I'll try to write a python script for this later. VBA is not very difficult to learn. Here's some tutorials(try it out if you have time):

http://visualbasic.about.com/library/weekly/aa021503a.htm
http://www.jojo-zawawi.com/code-samples-pages/code-samples.htm

Best regards,
Haiyang
Collapse

Juan Perello
Juan Perello  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:18
Member (2005)
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Aleksndr Okunev's Tortoise tagger Dec 12, 2007

Though it is originally meant to tag documents according to a previously created taglist,
it can also be used as a utility to search and replace from lists. I just tried it last week. Be sure to read the manual first. You can use the "Fuzzying Wordfast glossary" section as a hint to create your own search & replace list.

http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm

Regards,
... See more
Though it is originally meant to tag documents according to a previously created taglist,
it can also be used as a utility to search and replace from lists. I just tried it last week. Be sure to read the manual first. You can use the "Fuzzying Wordfast glossary" section as a hint to create your own search & replace list.

http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm

Regards,
Juan Luis
Collapse

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:18
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Trados? Dec 12, 2007

I have not tried this, but I think you can use Trados for this (yes, it can sometimes be useful! ).

First you have to have the list in MultiTerm (if you don't, you have to import it, which, I admit, may be a hassle).

Then you translate automatically the files with an empty TM and the options "Segment unknown sentences" set on and "Translate terms" set to "Replace".

Finally, clean up th
... See more
I have not tried this, but I think you can use Trados for this (yes, it can sometimes be useful! ).

First you have to have the list in MultiTerm (if you don't, you have to import it, which, I admit, may be a hassle).

Then you translate automatically the files with an empty TM and the options "Segment unknown sentences" set on and "Translate terms" set to "Replace".

Finally, clean up the files. This should give you back your original files with the MT terms replaced. At least I hope it works this way.

The advantages of this method: you can replace terms in many files at once and you are not limited to doc format.
Collapse

István Lengyel
István Lengyel
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Wordfast blacklists? Dec 12, 2007

Hello Heinrich,

I believe Wordfast can do this by means of blacklisting terms. I never tried it myself, but this is one of the capabilities of the coming term base in MemoQ v2.3 (not a mass find and replace by purpose, but the possibility to enter 'do not use' terms and replace them quickly with the 'use' versions) and when discussing that with some translators they told me that something like that already exists in Wordfast, and it's called blacklist. If you have some solution, ple
... See more
Hello Heinrich,

I believe Wordfast can do this by means of blacklisting terms. I never tried it myself, but this is one of the capabilities of the coming term base in MemoQ v2.3 (not a mass find and replace by purpose, but the possibility to enter 'do not use' terms and replace them quickly with the 'use' versions) and when discussing that with some translators they told me that something like that already exists in Wordfast, and it's called blacklist. If you have some solution, please let me know.

Best regards,
István
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
WordFisher Dec 12, 2007

I think such a macro already exists in WordFisher and could be used to accomplish your task in quite a straight-forward way. You would simply have to make a character-separated list version of the conversion table (using Word's "Convert table-to-text") and then run the wfReplace function of WordFisher on your Word document.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Another approach Dec 12, 2007

I don't have this as a Word macro, but I do have it as a piece of standalone software currently under development.

It does just that: searches for a given string, and replaces each with an alternative string from a list.

At the moment, it works with a text-only file, and list management has to be done manually; it is also fairly touchy about the order of cascading strings, and dealing with caps and punctuation.

But for the dedicated application I designed i
... See more
I don't have this as a Word macro, but I do have it as a piece of standalone software currently under development.

It does just that: searches for a given string, and replaces each with an alternative string from a list.

At the moment, it works with a text-only file, and list management has to be done manually; it is also fairly touchy about the order of cascading strings, and dealing with caps and punctuation.

But for the dedicated application I designed it for, it works superbly well, and in about 10 secs saves me literally HOURS of work.

If there is enough interest, I have my developer standing by waiting to pursue the development of the project.

I might add that I started development of this because conventional CAT tools just couldn't achieve what I needed so simply or easily.
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 16:18
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the information Dec 13, 2007

I have loaded Wordfisher now and will try it out.
regards
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search and replace from lists?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »