https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/9235-german_eng_financial_dict_glossary_sources%3B_how_type_german_symbols.html

German->Eng. financial dict/glossary sources; how type German symbols?
Thread poster: Conroy Fritz
Conroy Fritz
Conroy Fritz  Identity Verified
Paraguay
Local time: 03:01
German to English
Mar 7, 2003

Would anyone know of a good source for:

1. a German/English financial dictionary both on the web and hard copy;

2. a German/English financial terms glossary on the web.

Also, does anyone know how to type particular European symbols such as the EURO symbol, umlauts and es-zets(German) in Word, Excel, and in email? I have a Windows XP machine and Word2000/Excel 2000. Forgive the seemingly simple question, but I\'m new in this field. Thanks in a
... See more
Would anyone know of a good source for:

1. a German/English financial dictionary both on the web and hard copy;

2. a German/English financial terms glossary on the web.

Also, does anyone know how to type particular European symbols such as the EURO symbol, umlauts and es-zets(German) in Word, Excel, and in email? I have a Windows XP machine and Word2000/Excel 2000. Forgive the seemingly simple question, but I\'m new in this field. Thanks in advance for any info.

Conroy
Collapse

Joanna Mimmack (X)
Joanna Mimmack (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:01
German to English
character codes Mar 9, 2003

The Euro is Alt + 0128. Other codes can be found at http://german.about.com/library/weekly/aaO32398.htm. (German Language page - Can your pC speak German. For queries try searching back ProZ discussion forums (it took me a while before I discovered them!)
[addsig]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:01
English to German
+ ...
Can you be more specific? Mar 9, 2003

Hi Conroy,

I agree with Joanna: if you use the \"Search forums\" function, you should find a number of threads; alternatively, scroll through the topic lists in this forum, as well as in the German forum.

When you\'re looking at \"financial\" dicos or glossaries, what exactly are you looking at: accounting, general banking, trading/investment banking, structured finance, ...? If you don\'t know, maybe you could tell us a bit more about what you want to use these so
... See more
Hi Conroy,

I agree with Joanna: if you use the \"Search forums\" function, you should find a number of threads; alternatively, scroll through the topic lists in this forum, as well as in the German forum.

When you\'re looking at \"financial\" dicos or glossaries, what exactly are you looking at: accounting, general banking, trading/investment banking, structured finance, ...? If you don\'t know, maybe you could tell us a bit more about what you want to use these sources for.

Best regards, Ralf
Collapse

Conroy Fritz
Conroy Fritz  Identity Verified
Paraguay
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
more specifically..... Mar 9, 2003

Joanna, Ralf,

thanks for your replies. I\'m currently translating a brief agency test involving stocks and investing.

Assuming I buy a hardcover financial dictionary, I was hoping that there would be one standard general dictionary that would cover accounting, investing, banking, etc.

thanks.

Conroy

Salete Hinrichs
Salete Hinrichs  Identity Verified
United States
English to Portuguese
Change the keyboard layout Mar 9, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-07 23:52, conroy wrote:

Also, does anyone know how to type particular European symbols such as the EURO symbol, umlauts and es-zets(German) in Word, Excel, and in email? I have a Windows XP machine and Word2000/Excel 2000. Forgive the seemingly simple question, but I\'m new in this field. Thanks in advance for any info.

Conroy

You can change th... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-07 23:52, conroy wrote:

Conroy

You can change the keyboard layout to include German symbols. Go to Control Panel, Language, choose Add Other Languages. On the Languages tab, click on Details. From there, you can input another language, and add a language bar to your desktop. This way, you can easily switch from one language to another just by pressing Shift+Alt. I hope this helps.

Salete ▲ Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
A few useful dictionaries Mar 10, 2003

Here are some I\'ve found helpful

Hamblock/Wessels, Großwörterbuch Wirtschaftsenglisch ISBN 3-464-49451-9

Zahn, Bank- und Börsenwesen ISBN 3-7819-2031-3

(This one is dated 1994; there may be a newer edition)

Woywode, Wörterbuch Rechnungslegung und Steuern

ISBN 3-934284-00-0

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:01
English to German
+ ...
No such luck... Mar 10, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-03-09 16:28, conroy wrote:

Joanna, Ralf,

thanks for your replies. I\'m currently translating a brief agency test involving stocks and investing.

Assuming I buy a hardcover financial dictionary, I was hoping that there would be one standard general dictionary that would cover accounting, investing, banking, etc.

thanks.

Conroy

... See more
Quote:

On 2003-03-09 16:28, conroy wrote:

Joanna, Ralf,

thanks.

Conroy

\'Fraid not. I agree with the proposals given by Kfulton, though - Woywode is pretty much the standard reference for accounting, and Zahn covers most of banking and exchange terminology. Given, however, that Zahn is indeed outdated (I don\'t believe there has been a later issue), you won\'t find any sensible terminology on more recent developments (such as derivatives, electronic trading, structured products or exchange-traded funds, to name just a few). AFAIK there isn\'t a dictionary that would cover that. Several online glossaries (Deutsche Bank, UBS, Axone) have been posted here; use the forum search or have a look on GlossPost.

HTH - best regards, Ralf ▲ Collapse

Joanna Mimmack (X)
Joanna Mimmack (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:01
German to English
financial dictionary Mar 11, 2003

Have just found the Axone multilingual financial terminology which may be of help -http://tradition.axone.ch/default_index.cfm courtesy of the latest link page offered. Good luck!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

German->Eng. financial dict/glossary sources; how type German symbols?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »