French-English bilingual dictionary recommendation
Thread poster: diana T
diana T
Local time: 08:05
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 19, 2007

I need to buy a paper bilingual dictionary (french/english) and I need to chose between: Le Grand Robert & Collins and Harraps Unabridged. I'm studying translation. Which do you think it's best?

Thanks!

Diana T

[Título editado por el personal o un moderador 2007-12-19 18:28]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tony M  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:05
French to English
+ ...
Robert + Collins gets my vote! Dec 19, 2007

I was faced with the same choice, and after examining both, I opted for the R+C, which I have since bought on CD-ROM (highly recommended!)

Initially, I found a slight preference for the typography of the R+C, and frequent use has confirmed my initial feeling. The print is small, and so requires some effort to read, but overall, I have found its discrete typography clear and restful to use.

I found that the Harrap's lacked one or two odd definitions that could be found in the R+C, and more importantly, I found the R+C's definitions (in EN at least) were often more natural, more like 'real language' — and just occasionally even, dare I say it, were more accurate too!

Lots of my friends use the Harrap's, and many of them come and double-check things in my R+C.

I should say that when I came to replace my older, worn-out edition, I opted for the 2-volume set — simply for the ergonomics of it! As I work exclusively in the FR > EN direction, I have less often the occasion to use the EN > FR volume!

I certainly wouldn't consider anything less than the 'Super Senior' version, if you mean to take translation seriously.

However, even one volume has proved a little heavy for me (I have chronic back problems), and so I was delighted to move onto the CD-ROM version — it has its own problems of ergonomics (and you really do need to make sure you get at least version 1.2), but overall is a real boon.

Good luck in your eventual choice!

[Edited at 2007-12-19 19:21]

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French-English bilingual dictionary recommendation

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search