UIC Railway Dictionary - which one should I buy?
Thread poster: Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 20:38
German to English
Mar 27, 2003

The UIC Railway Dictionary costs anywhere from €145 to €165, depending on the language combinations. Since I translate from German to English, I\'m considering buying the 2000 edition with the English/German/French combination. Does anyone know how this dictionary is set up, i.e. is there a list of German terms with English translations?

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
UIC Railway D. Mar 27, 2003

Hi Kim, I have both the book dictionary and the CD. The book version I have is for Western/Southern Europe, comprising En, De, Fr, Es, Po and It. There is an alphabetical list for each language, with En coming first, then De, Fr, Es, Po, It. To find a term translation, you first locate your source word in the corresponding list. Once you find it, you will see a number beside the term. You then go to the body of the dictionary and find that number along the left edge of the left pages. The term i... See more
Hi Kim, I have both the book dictionary and the CD. The book version I have is for Western/Southern Europe, comprising En, De, Fr, Es, Po and It. There is an alphabetical list for each language, with En coming first, then De, Fr, Es, Po, It. To find a term translation, you first locate your source word in the corresponding list. Once you find it, you will see a number beside the term. You then go to the body of the dictionary and find that number along the left edge of the left pages. The term is then translated to all the languages as you read across the page to the right.

The CD is way superior (but more expensive) since it includes ALL major European languages and finding terms is instantaneous!

I\'ve been using for a year now and it\'s stupendous! Works wonders with wimps.

M
Collapse

Alan Johnson
Alan Johnson  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:38
German to English
Not worth it! Mar 27, 2003

Hi Kim,

I only have the book version. I\'ve been able to test it well, as railways (etc.) is one of my \"specialities\". However, useful as it may be at times, I think the cost-performance ratio is rather high; i.e. I think it\'s too expensive for what is offered.

Perhaps more opinions will come.

Regards

Alan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

UIC Railway Dictionary - which one should I buy?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »