Two useful programs: word counter, PDF text extractor (works with protected text)
Thread poster: luka
luka
Spain
Local time: 18:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 27, 2003

I don\'t know if this has been ponted before. In the page http://www.surefiresoftware.com there are two programs I have found quite useful. One in Midas, which allows you to retrieve the text from any pdf document, even the protected ones. The other one is total assistant, which allows you to count words of a document in practically any format, without having to open it. There are demo versions for free.

Direct link Reply with quote

Marcela García  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the tip Mar 27, 2003

I downloaded the Midas and it works great, much better than my \"cut and paste\" system indeed!

Marcela

sylvie malich
Germany
German to English
Thanks, I downloaded both Mar 28, 2003

but, it should be mentioned that they are 14-day trial demos and not free. They cost $21.95 and $14.95.

Freeware counting programs are available and there must be freeware to extract pdfs.

J. Calzado
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Mar 28, 2003

I\'ve downloaded both but I only tested Midas and it works fine, it\'s quick and simple. Thanks for the tip.

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 19:33
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Midas does not work with two-column text Mar 28, 2003

I tried it out with a book formatted in two columns, but Midas produces text from left to right throughout. Not very useful in this case.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two useful programs: word counter, PDF text extractor (works with protected text)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search