Thread poster: Michaela Müller

Michaela Müller
Germany
Local time: 23:16
English to German
+ ...
Feb 20, 2008

Hello,

I recently translated a number of .resx files from English to German, and now I am trying to calculate the word count to compare it with the word count done by the agency.
Some of the files already contained translations by a colleague.

I first saved the .resx files as .xml files and then counted the files with AnyCount. But since AnyCount doesn't offer a description of what is included in the word count of .xml files (and since I am not sure if the outcome is the same after saving as .xml), I am not sure if this count is reliable.

I then installed the Resx Editor (plus the needed MS .NET Framework), a tool that supposedly has been developed for translators and which also offers a word count feature for .resx files.
But the tool is not at all useful for me (not only the word count, but also the settings are incorrect) - it doesn't include any designer comments.
My files, however, have the English text within the comment tags, and the translation goes into the value tags.

Can anybody recommend a tool that reliably counts the words to be translated in .resx files?

Thank you,
Michaela

[Bearbeitet am 2008-02-20 14:15]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 23:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Swordfish Feb 20, 2008

Michaela Müller wrote:
Can anybody recommend a tool that reliably counts the words to be translated in .resx files?

I'm under the impression that Swordfish can read ResX files.

http://www.maxprograms.com/downloads/swordfish.html

Select "Convert file to XLIFF" and then use "Tasks" menu for various options.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word count for .resx files

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search