EU translator admission test
Thread poster: kat1980
kat1980
kat1980
Local time: 15:35
German to English
+ ...
Feb 21, 2008

hi all. Tommorow morning i sit an admission test to be an EU translator. It consists of verbal and numerical reasoning tests and a general knowlegde multiple choice on the EU's institutions and policies. All exams will be through GERMAN, my primary second language.

WOuld anyone be able to recommend good sites in german for free online verbal/numerical tests. i've already done the few free ones i found on google. I'm in a tiny bit of a panic as i feel i have left it a little late so
... See more
hi all. Tommorow morning i sit an admission test to be an EU translator. It consists of verbal and numerical reasoning tests and a general knowlegde multiple choice on the EU's institutions and policies. All exams will be through GERMAN, my primary second language.

WOuld anyone be able to recommend good sites in german for free online verbal/numerical tests. i've already done the few free ones i found on google. I'm in a tiny bit of a panic as i feel i have left it a little late so any help or web site pointers would be very much appreciated.
Thanks very much,
Kathryn
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Verbal tests Feb 21, 2008

One tip: google: verbal tests
The questions are of such a nature that I am afraid you will have to take it again next time when there is a concours for translators with English as target-language, say in three years time.
*20 EU general knowledge, what turns out to be specific knowledge. A minute per question.
20 verbal
*10 numerical which make the difference between success (belonging to the xxx % best) and failure....
If you did not attend any prep course or pra
... See more
One tip: google: verbal tests
The questions are of such a nature that I am afraid you will have to take it again next time when there is a concours for translators with English as target-language, say in three years time.
*20 EU general knowledge, what turns out to be specific knowledge. A minute per question.
20 verbal
*10 numerical which make the difference between success (belonging to the xxx % best) and failure....
If you did not attend any prep course or practised regularly i.e. year beforehand, forget it.
However, knowing something about the treaty of Lisbon might be useful and I bet there is most certainly a question about that.

If there is a ? about Treaties and you do not know, gambling on the Treaty of Maastricht usually does the trick. If you take it several times, you will notice that the same questions about the same topics always come back.
Good luck from a person, who took this test 5 times already and will take it a 6 th time next month, and always in a non-native language, be it English or French the song remains the same ... Werde als Uebung es auch mal auf Deutsch versuchen....
I was so lucky to have had the same series twice and scored less the second time.
---
Now back to the course about the E.U. and "Zo werkt Europa".
Next week: practise ratio's, fractions and simple calculations...

[Bijgewerkt op 2008-02-21 14:22]
Collapse

kat1980
kat1980
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Feb 21, 2008

Thanks Williamson, i will still definately try but your answer has certainly given me a reality check!
Kathryn

Rosa Alves
Rosa Alves  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to Portuguese
+ ...
some weeks preparation Feb 21, 2008

Hello Kathryn,

I took the EU-tests once (EU-CAST 25, it wasn't for translators only, but for all types of jobs) and I passed. Now, I am enjoying the fact that I am on a waiting list, although I already know that there's no need for PT-translators at the moment, and according to the answers I received during the lobbying I have been doing, it's not going to change in the next years.

You don't need to start practicing tests/studying one year before or do a course (even i
... See more
Hello Kathryn,

I took the EU-tests once (EU-CAST 25, it wasn't for translators only, but for all types of jobs) and I passed. Now, I am enjoying the fact that I am on a waiting list, although I already know that there's no need for PT-translators at the moment, and according to the answers I received during the lobbying I have been doing, it's not going to change in the next years.

You don't need to start practicing tests/studying one year before or do a course (even if it's better if you have this possibility), but at least one or two months. I am afraid one day before is not enough, but still, I wish you luck. If you don't pass this time, here are a few tips. At the European bookshop (http://www.libeurop.be), you have the possibility to buy books online. There are plenty of them about EU Exams. The most interesting one is maybe "250 mcq on europe and european policies - edition 2007" (also in German and French). At the end of the book, you have the answers to the mcq and a lot of useful explanations about the concerned question. For the verbal reasoning test, you don't need a lot of practice, that's relatively easy. But read the several statements and only after, the text. You won't have time to read 20 texts and 3/4 statements per text during the 20 minutes you’ll be given.

The bigger problem for me was the numerical reasoning test, since I hadn't had maths or reasoning since high school. If you are in this situation, then, yes, you need to practice. I remember being very worried about the EU knowledge test, until I did the first sample reasoning test! Then, I was more worried about reasoning than about EU.
The test is not very difficult, but you’ll have 1 minute per question (I had 20 numerical reasoning questions) and sometimes you have to look at graphics! So if you don't come to a plausible result after one shot, just give it up (but gamble on a result!!) and go the next question. The thing is: some questions are easier than others, but they are all mixed, so don't spend too much time on one single question. 1 minute before the end of the test, just choose an answer for all questions you hadn't time to do. Maybe you will have luck (the same applies to the verbal reasoning)

Last thing, I know it's a little late, but I have some sample tests (verbal + numerical + EU) in English and French, probably coming from one of this prepa-course. Although they are not in German, they could be useful, as they give you a great example of the type of question you will have at the exam (believe me, during the exam, there were a few numerical and verbal reasoning questions I had done while practicing). If you are interested, feel free to send me a mail through my profile!

Also, viel Glück für Morgen!
Rosa

[Edited at 2008-02-21 22:09]

[Edited at 2008-02-21 22:11]
Collapse

Michaela Cicha
Michaela Cicha
Local time: 16:35
English to Slovak
+ ...
sample tests Apr 13, 2008

hi Rosa
I would like to ask you whether you could send me few sample tests for EU tests in English. I am taking those tests next month and I feel quite nervous about it. Thank you very much. You can find my email in my profile. Michaela Cicha

can someone provide me the tests???? Sep 21, 2012

Hi,
i will have a test the next month and i need your help urgently!!!
thanks

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

EU translator admission test

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »