Thread poster: Sara Senft
Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 7, 2009

I just mailed my application to a professional organization. That's one of my professional goals for this year. (I've already accomplished it! Yay!)

How soon after applying to an organization can I claim membership? In this case, language professional who applies will be accepted.

I don't know exactly how long the application process takes. I did, however, just send an email to the membership coordinator.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 22:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
To be honest Jan 7, 2009

I think that to be honest you should wait till your membership has been confirmed. If you want to put it in your profile, you could say that you have applied for membership in X organization and then change it once confirmation comes through.

[Edited at 2009-01-07 02:09 GMT]

Gisela Greenlee
Gisela Greenlee  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:41
German to English
+ ...
Membership Jan 7, 2009

You can claim membership once your application has been confirmed as received and you have been given your user ID and password (if there is an online profile that you have to complete for potential clients to find).
The way you worded it, it sounds like you mailed the application (regular mail) and then emailed the membership coordinator. As someone who has been a membership coordinator (usually a volunteer position), let me just tell you how annoying it is to receive an email asking how
... See more
You can claim membership once your application has been confirmed as received and you have been given your user ID and password (if there is an online profile that you have to complete for potential clients to find).
The way you worded it, it sounds like you mailed the application (regular mail) and then emailed the membership coordinator. As someone who has been a membership coordinator (usually a volunteer position), let me just tell you how annoying it is to receive an email asking how quickly membership can be confirmed when the potential member just mailed in their application. It's time-consuming enough to work in a volunteer position without having those types of inquiries added on top.
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 04:41
Dutch to English
+ ...
Any? Jan 7, 2009

Sara Senft wrote:

How soon after applying to an organization can I claim membership? In this case, language professional who applies will be accepted.

Do you mean any language professional who applies is automatically accepted? How do they screen applicants to ensure they are in fact 'language professionals'? If there is no proper screening process, I'd be rather wary of considering this a 'professional organisation'.

As regards your question, you should wait until you are formally notified that you've been accepted as a member, even if it is a foregone conclusion that you will be placed on the register of members.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 05:41
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
When you receive confirmation Jan 7, 2009

Sara Senft wrote:
I just mailed my application to a professional organization. ... In this case, [any] language professional who applies will be accepted.

Many translators' professional associations have a level of membership that requires little more than signing a code of ethics. Still, I'd wait until I receive confirmation (and usually a membership card of sorts) before claiming membership.

Sara Senft
Sara Senft  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I figured Jan 10, 2009

Thank you, Samuel.

Tina's post made perfect sense. You have good points as well.

Looking back, I it seemed most logical to wait until I receive confirmation of some kind.

Samuel Murray wrote:

Sara Senft wrote:
I just mailed my application to a professional organization. ... In this case, [any] language professional who applies will be accepted.

Many translators' professional associations have a level of membership that requires little more than signing a code of ethics. Still, I'd wait until I receive confirmation (and usually a membership card of sorts) before claiming membership.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When to claim membership in an organization

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »