Ina Ropotica
Ina Ropotica  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Oct 1, 2009

I am thinking to give it a try and do the exam in order to get the Diploma in Public Service Interpreting or in Translation. Although I have an MA in Translation and linguistic background I find it very hard to get translation jobs with just 2 years of experience. I have just moved to London and I am wondering if being a member of the Chartered Institute of Linguistics will ever help me get into this complicated world of translation and interpreting. Considering the exam is quite expensive:
... See more
I am thinking to give it a try and do the exam in order to get the Diploma in Public Service Interpreting or in Translation. Although I have an MA in Translation and linguistic background I find it very hard to get translation jobs with just 2 years of experience. I have just moved to London and I am wondering if being a member of the Chartered Institute of Linguistics will ever help me get into this complicated world of translation and interpreting. Considering the exam is quite expensive:
- if you are a member, can you tell me if it helped you in any way?

- also, is there any other Institute or Association in London that might do the same type of exams and that is worth taking into account? My mother tongue is Romanian but I am also considering the English- Spanish combination.

Thank you so much!!!
Collapse

Chakir Mahjo (X)
Chakir Mahjo (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:53
English to Arabic
+ ...
HI, Oct 1, 2009

the Uk likewise in the US there are a lot of private schools that are giving translation certificates and preparing you by the way to get to the national board exam of the Chartered Institute. I can list for you here as an example the university of Westminister

http://www.westminster.ac.uk

have a good luck

Regards

[Edited at 2009-10-01 20:40 GMT]

[Edited a
... See more
the Uk likewise in the US there are a lot of private schools that are giving translation certificates and preparing you by the way to get to the national board exam of the Chartered Institute. I can list for you here as an example the university of Westminister

http://www.westminster.ac.uk

have a good luck

Regards

[Edited at 2009-10-01 20:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-10-01 20:41 GMT]
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
ITI Oct 1, 2009

Yes, apart from the Chartered Institute of Linguists (not Linguistics), there is also the Institute of Translation and Interpreting (website http://www.iti.org.uk/ ), whose exams are also widely recognised and highly regarded.

Kevin Harper
Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
You Probably Qualify Anyway Oct 2, 2009

If you have an MA in Translation and at least 1 year's experience, the chances are you qualify for membership of the Chartered Institute of Linguists without needing to take the examination.

If you send them a quick e-mail they will be able to tell you whether your course qualifies you.

ITI has stricter membership requirements (for MITI at least), although you should be able to apply for MITI in a year's time (or AITI now).

Ina Ropotica
Ina Ropotica  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
Member (2008)
English to Romanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Oct 2, 2009

Thank you all for your answers!

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 04:53
Turkish to English
+ ...
Worthwhile for me Oct 2, 2009

I passed the diploma in translation examination and then became a member of the institute. In my experience, this has been a great help in getting work.

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
Dip Trans unnecessary Oct 5, 2009

You don't need the diploma if you have an MA in translation.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chartered Institute of Linguistics, London, UK

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »