How translation works as a profession in New Zealand?
Thread poster: fatmakurt

fatmakurt
Local time: 16:33
May 9, 2010

Hi All,

I need some assistance about my research about how translation works as a profession in New Zealand - specifically: the laws and regulations about the translation companies or translators, translation costs and payments, and also the translation/translators chambers and associations (I've found NZSTI, but couldn't sign up.)?

I am also searching for the answers of questions such as what is needed to be called as a translator legally, or is something legally needed; what are the conditions required to run a translation company; is there a standart contract; are the coasts are determined according to character or line or page, and if it is line or page what is the definition of one line/page.

Thanks in advance...

Lang-uages
Local time: 02:33
English to German
+ ...
Translation in New Zealand May 18, 2010

Hi there!

You can basically set up business as a translator as you please. If you've got your own clients already - good. You may get additional work depending on your marketing skills and the quality of your translations. There is a lack of translators for some languages.

To do certified translations, however, you will need to be a full member with the NZSTI, which you can only become if you have a full qualification/degree as a translator. You will need to supply certified copies of your translating degree and your CV. They are quite strict with that, which - frankly - is good, since it protects the quality of certified translations in New Zealand to a certain extent.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers!
Sabine

fatmakurt
Local time: 16:33
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 19, 2010

I cannot put into words the extent it helped! Thank you very very much Sabine... I think we have excchanged e-mails before. Thanks again very much to both your society NZSTI and the ones responding to me, including the members and nonmembers for your help.

Bye for now,
Fatma

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How translation works as a profession in New Zealand?

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search