collaboration as a road to great translation
Thread poster: David Hollywood
David Hollywood
David Hollywood  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2010

I am currently working on a book that came out in Spanish and has subsequently been translated and modified on the basis of mutual reflection and collaboration and the best way to get to a nice solution is to work together and share the knowledge My work with a native Spanish speaker has resulted in a very productive (and ongoing) process that enhances the end result and benefits all concerned .... what do you think about the comb... See more
I am currently working on a book that came out in Spanish and has subsequently been translated and modified on the basis of mutual reflection and collaboration and the best way to get to a nice solution is to work together and share the knowledge My work with a native Spanish speaker has resulted in a very productive (and ongoing) process that enhances the end result and benefits all concerned .... what do you think about the combination of knowledge as a way of getting past the personal needs we all have?

[Edited at 2010-08-01 02:39 GMT]
Collapse

Neil Coffey
Neil Coffey  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:43
French to English
+ ...
Can improve the translation... Aug 1, 2010

There's no doubt that two people working together can improve the quality of a translation, and a native speaker of the source language working with a native speaker of the target language potentially gets you the "best of both worlds" in terms of understanding nuances of the original and making the translation as idiomatic as possible.

I actually work this way quite frequently, and I believe that many of my clients appreciate the results.

On the other hand, it may not
... See more
There's no doubt that two people working together can improve the quality of a translation, and a native speaker of the source language working with a native speaker of the target language potentially gets you the "best of both worlds" in terms of understanding nuances of the original and making the translation as idiomatic as possible.

I actually work this way quite frequently, and I believe that many of my clients appreciate the results.

On the other hand, it may not be for everybody. Clearly it's potentially a lengthier, more expensive process, so it's really suited to those clients prepared to invest more money in quality and accuracy.
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:43
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
For literary translations, I think it's essential Aug 1, 2010

I once translated a novel, with very useful input all the way through from the author and his agent. I don't think I could have done a decent job on it without this help. I have also translated one or two poems with similar assistance and again it was very useful.
It shouldn't matter so much for technical texts, but again, can be helpful at times.

Veronica Lupascu
Veronica Lupascu  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 08:43
Dutch to Romanian
+ ...
Collaboration - payment Aug 1, 2010

I am sure that this kind of collaboration can substantially increase the quality of translations. I had few times posted questions on KudoZ, not for translating them, but for receiving an explanation on complicated terms from native speakers. But certainly I can not always rely on kudoZ.

My questions is how do you manage to remunerate the collaborators for their work. On a service for service basis? Or do you offer them a kind of commission or something?

I am just curi
... See more
I am sure that this kind of collaboration can substantially increase the quality of translations. I had few times posted questions on KudoZ, not for translating them, but for receiving an explanation on complicated terms from native speakers. But certainly I can not always rely on kudoZ.

My questions is how do you manage to remunerate the collaborators for their work. On a service for service basis? Or do you offer them a kind of commission or something?

I am just curios, because nobody is willing nowadays to work pro bono (not too much)
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 13:43
English to Thai
+ ...
My personal experience Aug 1, 2010

I am just curios, because nobody is willing nowadays to work pro bono (not too much)

I have been questioned many times how I started my translation career and I must emphasize again that working pro bono is a good starting point. I did many jobs free of charge on En>TH translation of biblical lessons when I was a high school student!

Best regards,

Soonthon L.

David Hollywood
David Hollywood  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:43
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
sharing Aug 1, 2010

thanks for all your contributions and there's no doubt that working together is both productive and rewarding ... the rewarding question is very interesting, as we all have different priorities and needs ... my (ongoing) collaboration with my good friend has been (and continues to be) mutually enhancing in many ways and the result is something that we both feel committed to and enjoy, as well as being convinced that we are sharing our "knowledge" not only between each other but (hopefully) with ... See more
thanks for all your contributions and there's no doubt that working together is both productive and rewarding ... the rewarding question is very interesting, as we all have different priorities and needs ... my (ongoing) collaboration with my good friend has been (and continues to be) mutually enhancing in many ways and the result is something that we both feel committed to and enjoy, as well as being convinced that we are sharing our "knowledge" not only between each other but (hopefully) with other people who may feel that it has been of some benefit and can maybe go on to fulfil their own goals and wishes ... thank you all very much for taking partCollapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

collaboration as a road to great translation

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »