Felipe Gútiez  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:37
German to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 21, 2011

Hello everybody,

Dear translator colleagues,

This is Felipe Gútiez, from Booktranslationondemand. Most of you don´t know me or have forgotten who I am.
I used to bring quite critical opinions and positions about copyrights, cloud computing, TM sharing, etc. I like new ideas and love great discussions.

Usually I based my opinions in History.
In History, usually, people who had the same profession worked together in a part of a city. Probably in your own city there are names of streets with reflects this: fishermen street, miners street, goldsmith street etc.
Following this link are some funny and “rude” examples

http://londonist.com/2010/08/londons_rudest_street_names.php

Anyway, people from the same profession gathered together and lived happy with each other. This same spirit seemed to have had the computer industry in Silicon Valley or the car industry in Detroit.

And now, my reflexion, what about translators?
Well, we have some examples of translators living together:

-Escuela de Traductores de Toledo in Spain of the eleventh century.
-Another good example are the houses for literary translation in Tarazona, Arles, St-Nazaire, Crete, Paros, Norwich, etc. http://www.re-cit.eu/
-To some extent, the translators of the big international organisations as UN, European Union Institutions, World Trade Organisation, World Bank, etc.

And now my proposal:

What about a city of translators in a beautiful island, building it from scratch?. My personal suggestion is Tenerife in the Canary Islands, the African part of Spain, some good and beautiful place in the South of Tenerife between Los Cristianos and Los Gigantes.
What would be in favour of such an endeavour?
People for?
People against?
Reasons for?
Reasons against?

Let´s create a new small village with around 500 people, all of them translators.

There is only one condition you must fulfill: you have to love diving, scuba diving.

Give me your feedback, please.

Have a wonderful day,

Felipe

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not everyone wants the same thing Oct 21, 2011

I would be against the concept and the location, for the quick reasons below:

About the idea:
- In old times, people from the same profession gathered in one place because customers could find them more easily that way, and on the other hand they could benefit from certain efficiencies in supplies and workforce by being at a close distance from each other. In our case, the place where customers find us is the Internet, so we are in fact already "living together" in the business sense.

- Although I enjoy discussing translation when I feel like it, I'm quite sure that the idea of meeting translators all the time and being forced to "live a translator's life" (whatever that may be) would not be of my liking. I prefer some fresh air and meet people who do all sorts of things, since this way I learn a lot more about life, human activity, and the world.

About the location:
- Believe it or not, not everybody thinks that a warm, dry place by the beach is paradise. To me, paradise is a green, humid, and quiet place, surrounded by the forces of nature (something like the north coast of Spain, Ireland, or Canada) and not by international-style pubs.

- Tenerife is centered on tourism. The distance from "real action" in Europe and America and the lack of opportunities to learn about other industries would make the place rather dull.

- I would be too far from my friends, family, and customers. Instead of flying 2 hours to meet my closest customer, I would need to fly 4 and a half. And may I add that I do not particularly enjoy flying and having to fly for everything.

Just my opinion!

(Of course, if you relocate the idea to some humid, green, quiet place, I might reconsider it all!)

[Edited at 2011-10-21 19:53 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sailing! Oct 21, 2011

Felipe Gútiez wrote:
There is only one condition you must fulfill: you have to love diving, scuba diving.

I think I have met more people in the translation industry who love to sail than people who dive, so from a democratic point of view, suggesting a village of sailors who translate would attract more people.

Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good points Tomás Oct 21, 2011

Sailing is necessary for diving in many places, so no incompatibility.

Tenerife is not so dry as you can think. The North of Tenerife is very green and humid.

Translators are not only translators. They have many different aspects in their lives, and most are very funny. I am sure there should be funny to live with translators.

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Count me in Oct 21, 2011

Felipe Gútiez wrote:

Let´s create a new small village with around 500 people, all of them translators.

Give me your feedback, please.

Have a wonderful day,

Felipe

I really love Islands and Spanish Islands are indeed the best in Europe in my opinion:)

Germany
German to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You are welcome, Angie Oct 21, 2011

I am sure there is a real chance that 500 people here would join me to create a small village from scratch in Teneriffe:

-For example with Weberhäuser producing electricity and electrocars like the Peugeut Ion.

-Treadmill desk with a beautiful sunset view in the Atlantic
http://thoughtsontranslation.com/2008/05/07/a-hamster-wheel-with-e-mail-the-treadmill-desk/

-Football

Just take a look at the beautiful places in Tenerife in Street View in Google Maps. Really nice

-And of course swimming and diving.

Beautiful!!!!

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Going forward Oct 21, 2011

Felipe, although I feel that it is great that society has its dreamers, I too often see that ideas can quickly conflict and drown in the realities of real life.

About this idea, how would you go about doing this: I mean, where are you going to find the land for the project? Will all translator owners agree with the location and conditions?

If the place is developed already and is really nice, wouldn't it be a miracle that it is not already taken by a large group of private individuals? And if it is not that nice, how will you manage to motivate people to move there and spend a pile of money to make it it attractive enough for others to be interested in the project?

I think your idea is too vague for now and completely disregards the legal and economic framework for any development/building/real estate project. What are your thoughts about the practical side of things?

Russell Jones  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:37
Italian to English
It's nice to dream Oct 21, 2011

If you try very hard, you might get three people to join you

Aim for a village; be happy with a hamlet.

I'll come and visit!

Marie-Paule Cadi  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
Love it! but... Oct 21, 2011

Hi Felipe!

I love dreamers, and I love your dream!!! Sounds really great.

But the big obstacle I see is that in the past, the whole family often had the same job, worked in the same workshop, or lived on the sea. It's mostly not true anymore, and I can't imagine my fiancé's face if I were to tell him that he was to give up is job in the automotive industry to follow me in the translators' paradiseicon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the dream anyway. I might manage to convince him someday!

Good night!

The Misha
Local time: 09:37
Russian to English
+ ...
You are not really serious, are you? Oct 22, 2011

This idea is fairly absurd for a myriad practical reasons, which are so obvious that they hardly merit a separate discussion. However, my biggest beef with it is of a different kind.

One of the best things about being a translator, or any kind of freelancer for that matter, is not having to meet people. I mean, you sure can, and should, but strictly on your own terms, and only those you do care to meet - not by virtue of being a member of some glorious worker collective or having a government-mandated propiska (housing registration) in a particular place. The age of the Internet has finally liberated many of us from having to stick together for mere economic survival. In a sense, it took us out of that Potemkin village - and into the big world. Now you are calling us all back. Count me out.

Boy, and we haven't even started discussing our different politics ...

Hideaki Eguchi  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:37
Member (2010)
English to Japanese
The life would be much more difficlut. Oct 22, 2011

If all of the people were translator, where can I get a cup of coffee?

Internet?

[2011-10-22 07:36 GMTに編集されました]

Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Spanish
Hmm Oct 22, 2011

5.000 translator in a exotic place... Are you speaking about big cheap agencies? icon_wink.gif

if you know the adresse of the village with the 5.000 models, I will reconsidered my opinion.

Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:37
English to Russian
+ ...
Las Galletas Oct 22, 2011

Felipe Gútiez wrote:

... My personal suggestion is Tenerife in the Canary Islands, the African part of Spain, some good and beautiful place in the South of Tenerife between Los Cristianos and Los Gigantes.

Reasons against?

1. I hate climbing hills and mountains
2. I hate tourists
3. I like silence

Only LAS GALLETAS or even
ONLY LA COSTA DEL SILENCIO !!

ps. By the way, who will be the boss?

[Edited at 2011-10-22 10:13 GMT]

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Retired models please Oct 22, 2011

Fernando Toledo wrote:
if you know the adresse of the village with the 5.000 models, I will reconsidered my opinion.

So it would be 500 translators on one side of the road, and models and shops on the other side. May I ask if it would be possible to choose retired models in the range of 35-40 years of age? Models still doing the catwalk would feel like daughters, and would be less interesting to me.

Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
See? Oct 22, 2011

Sergei Tumanov wrote:
1. I hate climbing hills and mountains
2. I hate tourists
3. I like silence

If would be really hard to find people who love and hate the same things you do, most especially if we are talking about translators, who in my opinion are more on the less sociable half of society.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A city for translators in a beautiful island

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search