Becoming a Sworn translator in a foreign country
Thread poster: Localize It!

Localize It!  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
English to Italian
+ ...
Dec 1, 2011

Dear colleagues,
My working translation languages are English/French into Italian, but I currently reside in the Netherlands.
I have been considering for a while the possibility to become a sworn translator here, and I started gathering information on the procedure to undergo.
Now my question is, does it make sense to be a sworn translator in the Netherlands, if Dutch is not in my language combinations?
Most of the documents that will require certified translation in this country will probably be from and into Dutch...

For example, I am about to get married in Italy and since my husband is not Italian I need to provide two documents that need to be translated by a sworn translator into Italian. I have been informed that the sworn translator must be approved by an Italian tribunal, so I cannot for example ask to a colleague here, because he/she would be registered at a Dutch court...

Since the procedure is really long, complicated and expensive I am trying to figure out if it makes sense, or if it would only make sense with the combination Dutch-Italian.

Any advice will be very welcome!!


JaneAlison  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
French to English
Translation of official documents Dec 2, 2011

Hi Elena

Perhaps not a direct reply but I (British national) was married this year in France and had all my documents translated by someone the other side of France because she was cheaper than any local translator. All the documents went and came back by registered post, so not a problem for you.

Let's face it 50 euros for translating a birth certificate is easy money compared to a lot of translation work (and paid up front of course).

So the question is whether you can become a sworn translator if you are not resident in the country concerned and that would depend on the Italian rules.

Kind regards


Localize It!  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
English to Italian
+ ...
Bureaucratic problems arise... Dec 2, 2011

Hello Jane,

Thanks for you reply.
Well, I just found out (after a series of phone calls with my town hall in Italy) that in the specific case of marriage with a foreigner, the documents need to be translated by the Italian embassy of the fiancee's country (apparently for free)!

But going back to the sworn translations problem...
Let's assume that it is still profitable to undergo the process.
I found out that I need my Italian university degree "evaluated" by a specific Dutch commission, that will determine its equivalence in the Dutch system. I don't understand this, as my degree is simply a master's degree, like there are in all Europe.
But this is not even the main problem. The point is that they specifically want to see on the degree the "language combinations", explicitly.
Now, my university issues official papers that read: "Master's degree in Translation".
The language combinations are only indicated afterwards, in the list of exams I took.
That seems to be not good enough for "them" (the authority which decide on sworn translators applicants).
But I can't ask my university to issue a different type of degree just for me, right?
So, if on this forum there are other non-Dutch nationals that somehow managed to get past Dutch bureaucracy and become sworn translators in the Netherlands, it would be great to get in touch with you and get some advice...

Kind and stressed regardsicon_wink.gif


Tom Feise  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:11
English to German
+ ...
registering as a court certified translator May 16, 2012

which, at least in Germany, with its combination of various legal systems on the state level, covers at least what you need to know in the Netherlands:
A so-called "sworn" translator is actually only certified by the local distict court to certify the authenticity and correctness of a translation into or from the languages he/she is registered for.
He/she can not notarize any documents, only certify that a translationsis ok, and he/she must provide the registering district court with a copy of the translation in hard copy.
As soon as a certified and court-registered (otherwise known as sworn) translator in Germany leaves his/her domicile to another state or abroad, they lose (automatically) their certification, unless they are pproved by the state district court of their new domicile or the German embassy if abroad.
They may be required to to undergo the whole process of certification and registration again in their new domcile.

Also, you are not allowed to certify your own translations, nor can you certify the correctness of any translations if you are no longer resident in the area of the district court that originally authorized you.

I imagine it to be similar in other EU regions, and the registration is always subject to the local (regional legal) legal system), as some are still under Napoleonic law, and others under Prussian law... and the twain shall never meet


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Becoming a Sworn translator in a foreign country

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search